Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Last night's documentary on BBC 2

Forum Member
    I'm so annoyed with myself, I should have just turned the channel over as well but now I've seen it, I wish I could Un see it :-(

Forum Member
    Hi Everyone
    I caught the last part of the documentary last night, I think Simon's courage was amazing and that's what stuck out for me.When I found out in April 2014 that I had Als,the thought of doing what Simon chose to do did cross my mind.I did say to family and friends if I didn't have children, that I may have considered it.Not knowing the full impact of Simon and his family's emotional journey.
    i really haven't got the courage ,I do cherish each day at the moment ,but I also fear what the future holds for me and my family as my Als progresses.
    It's as if watching Simon's experience and his choice to die,has just confirmed for me I want to live as long as I can and given me the push even more so to get on with it. I felt in a strange way today more contented,hope I do not upset anyone and it's only how I felt x x x dippy

Forum Member
    My husband has mnd, not me, so I must respect his wishes whatever they maybe.

My hubby has insisted we do not tell anyone about his condition, he is a very private type of guy, that is understandable but creates a huge pressure emotionally on our children and family life. As yet he has refused to claim any benefits, get a disabled badge or consider the adaptions needed to make life more comfortable for himself. I am trying to work on him to slowly accept help but he is a self made man and that strength can be his weakness too. He is getting very wobbly on his feet and falls down frequently. We have had some terrible accidents and periods of hospitalisation. He has lost his speech and ability to take in food or drink orally. He is often in pain and is very weak. My big rugged hero has become a skinny one over the last few months. He is a stubborn obstinate difficult guy, but the joy I feel being with him is incredible, he is still my beloved husband. Mnd cannot take that away I respect the choices made by people who seek to end their life earlier if they so wish. But I also wish to say how much joy, ( and aggro too!) there is in being with the person you love. I just wanted to write my feelings to try and share the ambivalence and debate these documentaries raise. Yes I do believe in choice, but please understand how much we love and care for the person we chose to be with. The documentary made me weep but made me also realise how grateful I am to have my husband by my side as long as he is happy to stay there. Sorry for this rant or vent but feels good to share what can never be said in real life!!! Thank you regular posters for your generous regular words and encouragement. Last night's viewing was very harrowing, but like Dippy I was left realising how blessed I am to have my husband here now. I do not think about tomorrow, today is my precious present! ( cheesy pun intended)

Forum Member
    Hi creme egg
    It must be so difficult for you and your family,I have tried to plan ahead and up until about 6 weeks ago was managing quite well.But now I'm losing the big things I call them,my legs are saying enough is a enough,my hands and arms are becoming weak.I find myself struggling to start thinking I need to let others ,help me wash,dress and toileting.I can relate to how your hubby is feeling,but for me I don't want my family to struggle.I do hope your hubby finds his way of moving forward,but mean while please take care of you and get some support for you.Your doing amazing,I'm not sure how I would cope being on the other side of the fence.Sending a huge hug and please, please take care of you xxxx
    dippy

I could not watch it either;

It's just a shame that Simon had to travel to Switzerland.

I don't think that you will upset anyone Dippy, and Cream Egg, it's perhaps a shame that your husband hasn't made things easier for you and your family but his not alone in doing that.

It's everyone's personal choice or at least it should be.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Thanks Dippy and Terryx

Forum Member
    We had a documentary similar called ‘how to die in Oregon’ because that is one of the States where assisted physician suicide is legal.

It was very difficult to watch, but after watching it, it made me wish every State in the country had it legal. It did seem like there was a lot of peace, and dignity in the act when enough is enough, and more than enough to bear. A personal choice that we all should have the option to make.

xox

Yes CC, I agree physician is the best way. I think Simon went too early, but it's nice to have the choice. I believe we already have death with dignity in our hospices but not a discussion for this forum. Dude xo

Forum Member
    I did watch all of the programme and I feel that although it was very emotional it did bring to the fore the whole question of whose life is it?
    When Simon first went to Switzerland he knew that the disease was moving forward.He wife disagreed as other than his speech he looked OK.
    I watched my mother with pbp get to a point where she had a PEG could not use her hands at all.She could not speak so her only way to communicate was by her eyes.That pleading look I saw remained with me for years.I felt guilt that I had extended her misery by allowing the PEG.
    Last year I went through it all again with my brother. He had the form of MND that starts with the lower limbs. He managed for 3 years and wanted to live.By August of last year he was double incontinent and the muscles in his arms started to waste away.He still have speech and was able to eat spoon fed food.September came and he started to struggle get his breath at times and he almost lost his speech. At that point he started having those haunting looks that Simon and my mum had.Pleading to be taken.My brother passed the begining of November.
    I has started in April last year with slurred speach and choking on some foods.I was fast tracked due to family history and by October I had my own diagnosis.PBP
    I am sorry that I have dragged on but the point I want make is that That it is OUR Life to do with what we want.I know my family do not want to lose me but I will decide when the time is right for me.

Very brave post alfies mum. Thank you for your unique insight. I see that desperate look when I look in the mirror. You have the 'benefit' of going through it twice before, we just stumble along . Take care. Dude x