Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to our newest forum group

Hello Dude

We aren't aware of any posts on this thread by Graham.

However, we are glad to now be able to help people regarding questions about motor neurone disease.

Many Thanks

Rachel

My mistake , sorry Rachel. Dude

Forum Member
    I think this is a great idea. I suspect this is a bit late on a Friday but I have a question. Not sure if it is a bit controversial though.

Does what you eat have any impact on MND? Are there worthwhile supplements really?

Morning Susan,

Thank you for your question.

With regards to the effect diet may have on MND. We aware of a small study carried out in the USA which highlights the potential benefits of eating a high calorie, and high carbohydrate diet. The studies findings were published in The Lancet in February 2014, and although the researches acknowledge that there needs to be further studies, it appears that the initial outcomes of the study were quite positive.

A brief outline of the findings were as follows -

Loss of weight, both muscle and fat, is common as ALS [MND] progresses, and patients experience more difficulties eating, swallowing, and maintaining their bodyweight. Recent work suggests that these problems might also contribute to the course of the disease: patients who are mildly obese are more likely to live longer, and mice carrying a gene which causes ALS lived longer when they were fed a calorie-rich diet high in fat.

A good way of fortifying foods is to add cream and butter to things like mash potato. So it really is a matter of not watching the calories and eating a wide range of foods as you possibly can.

I do hope this is helpful Susan.

Kind regards

Ruth

Forum Member
    That is really interesting. Thank you.

Sadly I was never overweight so can't manage that bit but I have been eating high fat and high carb foods anyway since I was diagnosed so while I can still eat that is obviously something worth continuing to do. It is a good thing I am addicted to pork pies at the moment!

Forum Member
    Hi mnd connect
    Dnt no where I would be without ur help and support over the phone as its my mum who's has the thing, obviously still new diagnosis so very sad and extremely emotional, kinda in denial I guess to,
    Xx
    Sharon

Hello Sharon

Thank you for your kind comments. If there is anything further that we can do to help then please don't hesitate to contact us.

Best Wishes

Rachel

Forum Member
    Hi MND Connect.
    I am a new members, I care for my partner who was diagnosed with MND 3 years ago. It is great to be able to read through others peoples journey and hopefully pick up some tips to help us along the way
    Thank you

Hello Kernowmum

I am pleased that you are finding the forum helpful. It's a really good place to get support and pick up tips.

If you have any questions or if there is anything that we can help with then please do not hesitate to ask us. You can post any questions on here or you can contact us directly via email on mndconnect@mndassociation.org or on Freephone 0808 802 6262.

Best Wishes

Rachel

Forum Member
    Another huge thank you for your help, support and advice, my brother has mnd, diagnosed december 2016, and you have all been so helpful, to him, his family, and myself Thank you all