Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Email Notifications

Forum Member
    Hi Sarah -

Let us know how the notifications work out. I agree it's not clear whether users will not get any further notifications until they log in to the Forum again, or if it's the individual thread that's restricted and you'll still receive notifications from other subscribed threads.

Mike.

Ummm I received Sarah's reply but didn't receive Mike's...maybe the setting can be tweaked?
    Best wishes

Jeannie

Please donate and share forever grateful xx Please see the link https://www.gofundme.com/83tq5j-help..._co_campmgmt_w

I'm not getting notifications after every new post. Have to check what's new every time.

Sarah

Forum Member
    I seem to be getting notifications OK, but it's just the first new post that's notified from any subscribed thread not every new post, during periods when I'm off-line. When on-line, we're all dependent on the 'New Posts' link at the top of the page.

This is one of a couple of things I need to report, so hopefully there'll be some progress soon, but not until after the Bank Holiday.

Mike.

Thanks Mike. Have a good bank holiday!

Robyn Copley-Hirst

Test Posts

ignore the next few posts... testing my last solution hope!

should receive separate email 2

should receive separate email 3
    Last edited by Robyn Copley-Hirst; 30th August 2011 at 11:52. Reason: Merged 3 separate posts to save space

Robyn Copley-Hirst

Post Possible Solutions

Right!

Hi Everyone (and Sarah),

I've had a look into this today. Just a few points: The email notification will not notify you via email while you're active on the forum,

There are various functions which you can choose from by going to your 'settings' and then to your subscriptions. You can choose to subscribe to threads by choosing to do so within the thread tools at the top of the thread in the drop down menu. You can select how you want your notifications there, or select through your subscription settings as above. Even though there are a wide selection of options, none of these are absolutely perfect.

For example, what Sarah loves about the instant email notification is that the complete post is present in the email... but it will only alart you when there is a new post in the thread you're 'watching'. After this the system will not want to send further emails as in an active thread this could leave you with a very full inbox! It will wait until it knows you've read the thread and then from that point alert you of a new post... Most users would consider this spamming, although I appreciate that this is exactly what you're looking for, Sarah. I hope this explains why the function isn't there for members to select (or Admins to default for members!).

So, it may be easier to set your subscription to a 'daily' or 'weekly' digest. This is a roundup of the posts each day or week in a thread you've subscribed to. Although this will give you more idea of how active the thread has been, I don't believe it posts any snippet of the actual post.

So, what I have done...

1. RSS Feed

I've given users the option to subscribe to an RSS feed of each forum. You'll see this on the main forum homepage now, to the right of each forum area. You can set this up to post onto a website in a feed, or from an RSS feed reader. This means that you can download an RSS feed reader directly to your pc/mac and see the activity of a subscribed forum from there, without having to check back on the forum each time. It will list in full, time order, every single post made in full within a forum area (research, Life with MND).

I know this doesn't provide the tweak that should be simple to make, but I hope this explains why that possibly isn't the best option... I will keep checking as always and if I see a way to do this with existing members I will get back to you...

2. Manual Additions

Update: There is no way for me to allow you all to choose to receive an email per post. I think to prevent spamming, I can only select moderators to receive an email every time a post is made but...

What I can do, and was checking above, is to manually input member emails within individual forum settings so that they will receive an email for every single post made... I'm happy to offer to do this for members upon request so just let me know if you'd like me to do this for you via PM and what forums you'd like to be subscribed to eg. Research, Life with MND etc.

If you do find that you get fed up of the level of emails this may produce just let me know and I'll take you off again! I shouldn't think many people would like this level of email contact but I am happy to offer it on request only.

Best Regards,

Robyn