Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting off the loo

Dugald
    If the problem is getting up from the toilet without hurting the wife's back I have seen uplift toilet seats where the seat itself helps you to rise? They were expensive though it's worth looking at Dudes site and seeing if they do one.

Wendy x

Forum Member
    Hi. Dugald, I too have similar problems to you getting off the loo. I have the biggest raiser seat, in fact I'm almost on the ceiling and still struggle. This week I hope to install an extra high disabled toilet I think it's 520 cm plus a riser seat, for a bio bidet. You may find this useful as it gives you a wash and blow dry but sadly no turtle wax.

My biggest concern at the moment is managing to move in the bed. If I could manage to sit on the side of the bed I can stand up and take myself and my trolley to the toilet. I am going to try a hospital bed next week which will help me to sit up and maybe I will be able to get my legs over the side of the bed. Fingers crossed ,or should I say legs crossed, as this is all that stands between me and a catheter. I am now so paranoid about getting to the loo in the night that I know I am not drinking enough. I have been advised to wear a pad at night but it doesn't seem right to pee in the bed even with a pad on. I must say I'm sick to the back teeth of thinking and talking about toilets and all the basic things that most people don't have to think about.

Hi Kernowcluck;

I do agree that the thought is awful and being a man I have an advantage in that I use a bottle. Ask your OT for two high grab rails, Elland 0064 can be very helpful in moving in bed and getting on and off if he has a little hand/arm strength.

If moving in bed is a problem then also ask for two WendyLet base sheets, these are fitted with elasticated corners. They have silk middle area with grippy edges. I have had made a couple of silk squares about a meter square and I have that on top of the base sheet and it slides quite easily. You could also ask for a Monkey bar for the bed.

But get the grab rails on order for when the bed comes as they will make so much difference.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Thank you Terry. I hadn't heard of the slippery sheets, that sounds helpful. Monkey bars are no good for me as I have very little arm movement and all my shoulder muscles have gone. I get stuck in the bed and can't move up independently or roll to the left. I get in a right old pickle with the duvet and have come close to throttling myself many times which is a bit scarey. I also can't reach the bed lever but use it for steadying myself when I stand up.
    Xx

Hi Elaine,

Do you have a carer? Sorry for being blunt (it's my middle name ) but if you don't have one, maybe consider it??

I don't need to tell a Nurse that restricting fluid intake is bad... I get the not wanting to pee in the bed scenario too.

For me, having carers enables me to live as how I want to.

Ellie x.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Hi Elaine I agree with Ellie (for once lol), you need to think about having a carer to help you. I know you want to retain your independence but having someone help you a bit now will help the transistion with needing a bit more. You know what I mean. Do you still climb stairs. Have you thought about wetroom. A hospital bed will be great I've had one for a while. My duvet used to wrap around me but i put clamps on one edge of the duvet and clip clamps onto bottom bar of cot rail to hold it stable. Dude x

http://www.diy.com/hand-tools/bq-spr.../170845_BQ.prd

Forum Member
    Thanks Ellie and Dude.

I have carers to come and get me up and dressed in the morning. I can just about manage a stairlift with help so I come downstairs and I'll try and walk for a little with my trolley just to loosen up a bit. I then sit in my riser recliner but I can't get out of it until the carers come back at lunchtime for a wee and a walk. My family help me to get to bed (then I'm not governed by carers times. )But in the night I have no one although my family live with me, my daughter in the Annex with my two grandsons and my son and daughter in law, plus bump, who all work full-time. I try not to drink from mid afternoon onwards (yes I know that's wrong ) but I get to 4 o'clock in the morning and my bladder is fit to burst but I have to wait until somebody gets up and rescues me.

I have been trying to organise the conversion of a downstairs room into a bathroom since last December and could write a book about the frustrations dealing with so many different people who don't seem to pull together. If I could get that done it would be a big weight off my shoulders. I have a bio bidet waiting to be installed and have been messed about for weeks by the plumber who needs to do his bit first.

Yes Dude I tuck my duvet in to the other side of the bed but because I can't move my arms I still manage to get into trouble with it. Either it has disappeared down the bed and I'm left uncovered or it's come up over my face and suffocating me. Death by duvet one way or the other.

KC xx
    By the way I love your optimism Dude, could you please just hurry that cure on a bit- sorry to be impatient!!

Hi KC;

Sorry that I can't help you much, I am sure that many of us know what it's like being tired up and trapped by a duvet.

I did look at ways of having it strung on four pulleys and having an remote electric winch to pull the thing up a down.

Most of the year I clamp a large sheet to the foot board and to my high grab bars making a tent. . This means that I am cooler and I don’t have any sheets etc to deal with when I am turning or doing anything else.

I don't use the monkey bar for lifting but it's very useful for hanging my remote switches, bell and sometimes the bed control on.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

KC Can't your daughter help you to the toilet before you go to sleep. Why can't you get out of recliner. Do you have a door bell to alert anyone in the night. Sounds like people are not helping or are you stubborn. The cure will be along in a bit. The clamps will stop duvet being untucked and from slipping down bed. Dude x

Forum Member
    Hi Dude, my family are great and toilet me before I go to bed but this is usually quite early as they all go to work early so this makes for a long night.Without them I think I would struggle to stay at home so I am very grateful. And yes I am stubborn but I'm a great believer are in doing as much for yourself as possible. I cannot get out of my riser recliner any more because my legs and arms are too weak , It's a bit of a blow but that's just how it is. My hospital bed is being stalked installed as I type so fingers crossed I may be able to sit up and get my legs over the side and be independent throughout the night and I I am going to try to clamp my duvet.

Terry I have this vision of you in your tent, were you ever a boy scout? That might be a good option for the summer as I find it hard to control my temperature at night being unable to throw the duvet off or pull it back on again. Talk about necessity being the mother of invention!

Thank you both xx