Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Brexit Debate

The Brexit Debate

Are you going to leave or stay in the E U?

Lynne
    Be Strong and Courageous!

Leave hopefully Lynne!, but I think the vote will be a very close one!

Dave..
    "Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers!" Homer Simpson

Forum Member
    If you don't me asking, who votes on this Dave the people of the UK or the politicians you elect ? What is the benefit to leave, and what is the benefit to stay?

CCxox

Hi CC,
    The benefit of staying is that life continues unchanged. The benefits of leaving is conjecture. There is a lot of talk as you can imagine with the leave campaigners telling us how wonderful life will be when we are not told what to do by a bunch of bureaucrats . Having lived both in an out of our union with Europe I prefer the latter. We are a more prosperous society than we were outside but the leave campaigners say that would have happened anyway.
    The benefits as I see them are that within the EU we have free trade access to a market of 500 million people who are the biggest importers of our goods and also the benefit of trading with the USA on terms negotiated on our behalf by the EU. If we leave we will have to negotiate trading agreements on our own behalf. With the EU Canada and Norway are countries which have recently completed trading agreements with the EU after 10 years of negotiation. They have had to sign up to adopting a lot of the measures we already have so the benefit of being outside the EU and free of those controls disappears and the biggest difference is that we have no say going forward in any of those controls. Every large economic organisation in the world, our own Bank of England, our own government and President Obama say we will be better off to remain but the Brexit campaigners say that is not so and that world will be falling over to enter into agreements with us and that we will immediately save £350,000,000 a day by leaving.
    Like Dave I think the vote will be close but that the leave campaigners will probably win on the day, possibly because a lot of people, as in all elections, will not vote so again we will have to go with the wishes of a minority group which manage to rally their supporters to go to the ballot box.
    Still seven weeks to go and a lot more words to be spoken on the subject but most people I speak to seem to have formed their own opinions and the majority of the people I know say they will vote out.
    We are in an economic mess at the moment mainly as a result of the legacies from the economic downturn of the crash in 2008 and the vast amount of spending piled up by the labour government in the 17 years of their stewardship of the country's finances.
    Mr Blair and Mr Brown have a lot to answer for but historians will be the only ones who record this.

John

I'll be voting remain in Lynne.. Dude x

Quote Originally Posted by BlueEyesOhio View Post
    Are you going to leave or stay in the E U?

Lynne
    Hi Lynne,

You've started something with this post that will probably run until the vote is counted. CC the public vote and as John suggests there will probably be a poor turnout in what will be the most important decision in a generation. If you don't like a government then you can vote them out next time but there is no going back on this one.

John's statement sums it up accurately but of course there will always be a counter argument. One of the biggest drivers put forward by the leave campaigners is that it will solve our growing immigration problems. This is naive in my opinion.

CC

If Trump gets in and we leave the EU where should we meet? Has TC got a secret hideaway in a tax haven?

Love Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Forum Member
    Thanks for the info John and Barry, that’s very interesting.

Yes Obama put his two cents in, and suggested you stay. I hope whichever way the vote goes it brings your country prosperity.

Barry I know you love Italy and it’s my backup plan if Trump wins, and Terry has not officially invited to come. I don’t think he is going to either because he looks to get rid of me anyway he can (he really is a meanie) If I moved in with him I think he just might move out !! LMAO

CCxox

Thanks for the explaination John and Barry. I like to keep up with what is going on in the world and you all would have a better perspective than the news sites.

I hope I didn't stir up a hornets nest, I didn't mean to. Good friends should be able to talk about most things. CC and I talk about Obama, Trump, Cruz and Kasich (the governor of my state, Ohio) all the time. I like to hear others views.

Love, Lynne
    Be Strong and Courageous!

Lynne and CC

Yeah, John has summed it up pretty well there. No you haven't stirred up a hornets nest Lynne, it's good to see both sides of the debate. It is a big decision though and no going back once it has been made.

Dave..
    "Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers!" Homer Simpson

Forum Member
    If there is no going back I hope the right decision will be made. Change is good as long as it's change in the right direction

xox