Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Morphine and lorazepam

Forum Member
    Hi Ellie, I'm new to the forum and im just trying to find out lots of information for my mom who was diagnosed November 10th last year. She has just been started on a nippi 3 breathing machine at she isn't getting on with it at all, she's ok with it in the day, she uses it when she feels like she needs it, but at night she is waking up ripping the mask off and she isn't getttinf a good nights sleep, waking every couple of hours. I was reading you're post about the morphine helping with breathing, do you use the morphine and a breathing machine?

Hi SammyJoJo,

Welcome to you and to your mum.

Morphine is used for "air hunger", meaning for times when a person feels as if they're not getting enough air in to breathe. Some people find they get anxious using the Nippy, be it the mask making them feel claustrophobic or they aren't adjusting to the air flow rhythm, in which case Lorazepam, an anti-anxiety med, can be really helpful or some take sleepers but that's not always the best if there is respiratory weakness.

Can your mum identify why she is agitated?

No, I don't take anything for sleep/anxiety - thankfully I have no problems using my Nippy.

Ellie x.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Hi Sammy;

It's good that your mom can use it during the day, does she have it on for two or three hours at a time?

Some people have found that Lorazepam helps a lot but if she can use it for a couple of hours and gradually try to increase that time at night.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Thank you for you're reply terry, she uses it for about and hour at a time in the day
    She has only been using it for 2weeks I suppose it takes time to get used to it. I just rally don't want her to give up and
    Start on morphine.

Forum Member
    Hi, thank you for getting back to me. My mom gets claustrophobic with the mask and she
    Don't get on with the nose one because she sleeps with her mouth open. Can I ask what medication you are talking
    And what type of mnd you was diagnosed with? X

Sammyjojo
    I am just starting with the Nippy and have struggled a bit with my jaw dropping open, but Papworth have given me a really comfy soft chin support to pop on for overnight use. It might be worth trying the nasal mask again with a chin strap, it is much less claustrophobic feeling.

Wendy x

Forum Member
    Thank you Wendy, I will pass this info onto mom x

Forum Member
    Hi Ellie, I'm new to the forum and im just trying to find out lots of information for my mom who was diagnosed November 10th last year. She has just been started on a nippi 3 breathing machine at she isn't getting on with it at all, she's ok with it in the day, she uses it when she feels like she needs it, but at night she is waking up ripping the mask off and she isn't getttinf a good nights sleep, waking every couple of hours. I was reading you're post about the morphine helping with breathing, do you use the morphine and a breathing machine?

Hi Sammy,

I have replied already - see post #22 above.

Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    Hi, sorry yes I have seen you have replied, I'm still getting used to using the forum. I did reply back to you're reply did you get it ?