Thread: Shower wheelchair / commode

Forum Member

Shower wheelchair / commode

Hi there - can anyone recommend a good shower wheelchair which I will use in our newly installed wet room. Should I get one that is self propelled, 4 brakes or two, padded seat or not? There is so much out there - I'm confused!!
    Thanks

Hi Island Girl;

It's time to ask your OT's for help and equipment. They should advise and supply you what is required. They might also tell you what you can buy that would be better.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

First stop is your OT who should provide a suitable one for you. It has to fit over the loo too!

4 brakes & comfy seat best - not necessarily padded, but not hard raw plastic.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Island Girl,
    One that can fit over your toilet is a good idea and looking longer term a reclining one will hold you in position if you find your back muscles aren't functioning as well as they might. As mentioned your OT should help with that but OTs do vary from place to place. Hope you have a good one.

John

Forum Member
    Thanks everyone. I will get on to my OT. I just enjoy the research aspect of finding the best equipment. I ended up buying a second hand wheelchair which is far superior to the one I would have been provided with.
    Onwards and upwards .....

Tell us what wheelchair you have and what it does, IG;

If you don't have a wheelchair services chair then sometimes you can get a grant towards another. The Mnda did do some research into wheelchairs and they do upgrade the basic one a bit. There is some good equipment out there, keep us upto date as well.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.