Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low fat diets ???

Low fat diets ???

In a different thread Dvd mentioned the suggestion that taking statins could be related to developing MND. This reminded me of a concern I have.

Is there any evidence that a low fat diet has any input into the chances of getting MND?
    Fit people (and those with cholesterol problems of course) may be more diet conscious than some and more likely to go "low fat".
    I am particularly concerned about the low fat possibility as I met Trevor only 9 years before he died. His first symptoms of MND appeared 18 months before he died.

Trevor had lived with his Mum until 2 years before we met. She was a real county lass who gave him good traditional food with plenty of butter, home made cakes etc.

In order to keep us both "healthy", when I moved in I brought low fat "this and that" into our diet although he was very fit and had no heart problems.

I have since heard that fat actually helps to keep neurones healthy.
    Is the any truth in this? Are we hurting our hubbies by trying to keep them well??

I hope some of you well-read forumites have a view on this.

Sincerely, Nettie

Nettie,
    Please don't get yourself thinking that anything you did made things worse.
    I wasn't into low fat at all. I had good cholesterol readings so although I was overweight I have never bothered with low fat this or that. I honestly don't think you should second guess yourself. I was not physically fit either, and although I still have a differential diagnosis it's looking more and more likely that it's mnd rather than the MMN as the Ivig doesn't seem to be working.
    I honestly feel that some people have a predisposition that different stressors on the body can trigger, some people feel it's extreme fitness regimes, some people feel it's operations or other medicines. Stress itself through work, life or loss can have a huge impact on the body and immune system. It's impossible to live a happy life worrying about everything we do, just in case, this illness has been around at lot longer than low fat spread!
    I enjoyed life to the full before this horribleness, and continue to do so with the help of my lovely family and as many techy gadgets as I can get my hands on
    I refuse to spoil that by worrying if I did something to cause this until there is good firm irrefutable evidence, and even then what's the point in regrets, you live life the best you can at the time it's the best way to be happy.
    Much love
    Wendy xx

Hi Nettie,
    What kind of fats, how much? i decided last year to go on a high fat diet in the form of coconut oil (medium chain triglicerides), olive oil, eat lots of nuts, and salmon and do enjoy the odd lamb chops too. I wouldn't eat too much deep fried food though, although i do enjoy the odd plate of french fries if i go out, but as a treat only.
    My cholesterol is the least of my worries at the moment.
    Cheers
    Marie

That's quite funny Nettie;

Because I changed my diet about three years before I had Mnd to Soya milk and a few other things. I too doubt that would have anything to do with me getting Mnd but you do wonder.

Lamb chops, yummy.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

I'd just like to thank you all for replying and being so kind. I suppose we all hope that in the end there is a simple cause of MND. Stop that "thing" and it will be no longer! It has no place on this planet .... like all the dreadful neurological diseases!
    Just look at what Parkinson's disease did to Mohammed Ali!
    I was no fan but it made me weep to see him las night .... 30 years!!!
    I don't know if many carers feel like this after the event but it does get to me sometimes .... stupid I know but if only we had hindsight. I could have done better in some ways both before and during Trevor's illness I'm sure but I do know I did my best for him.
    A lot more good days than bad now but still a way to go. Not ready to be an MND Volunteer!
    Strange what silly little things can set you back ... it was trying to think of a name for the house today ... a house Trevor never saw.
    Thank you to those who understand. XX Nettie

Hi Nettie,
    You did the best you could, and i am sure that Trevor appreciated everything you gave to him. MND is a tough puzzle to hold but this forum helps us to align the pieces together. For the adventurous soul like myself, i use common sense and some knowledge of both conventional and natural medicine to stay 1 foot ahead of that clingy visitor, can't seem to shake it off so i have to accommodate.
    Yes terry lamb chops marinated in lemon juice a bit of garlic and olive oil (i usually add a tiny pinch of garam masala) and fresh finely chopped rosemary. Grilled , usually the meat is nice and tender. Only red meat i can digest.
    best wishes Marie

Good morning nettie, I bet everyone on here has a different diet. It's terrible the simplest of things that turn your emotions, I was hanging dad's washing out the other day,suddenly thinking mum would be doing this. I think your best go with the tears , I find myself smiling not long after ,it's so individual .
    Love Lorret

I'm on Ensure Loz, maybe I've menioned that before lol. Now fully weaned off antidepressants. Feeling good. Dude x

Nice one Dude, might of mentioned once or twice.
    Nettie how was Trevor with his feelings, Tom is really frustrated . OT came round ordering lots like rollator.
    We hopefully get the go ahead for extension the end of June. Lorret

Lol I like to think my advice/suggestions are helpful . Dude xo