Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Low fat diets ???

Yes Lorret. Frustration was a big thing. It got to him that I couldn't do everything that I had to do PLUS the things he used to do. He wasn't one for not having things "just so." (Got to me too!!)
    Example .... I couldn't use our heavy petrol lawn mower so I got a chap to come and do that for me. He worked very hard and did the lawns in a fraction of the time it would have taken me ..... but I have to say, it was never up to Trevor's high standards. He found that hard to accept. So hard for a previously constantly busy and active man ... and perfectionist!! He'd kept that lawn beautiful over the years, despite millions of pine needles, but one season of missing the routine weed and feed and all his hard work went to pot ... poor old Trevor!
    I suggested we got a cat so he could relax better. It worked as they cold sit together and chill a bit. He loved that cat!
    The cat, the Ipad, rollator and the stairlift made life just about bearable for him....and the old school bell to ring for assistance ... very useful. We had a lighter quieter one when his hands weakened but it still did the job fine.
    I think frustration was actually one of the major issues with Trevor's illness. His progression was very rapid too, so it was especially hard as he would lose the ability to do just one more thing pretty well every fortnight. Wicked disease! I do hope that a breakthrough really IS coming soon.
    Love Nettie XX
    Last edited by Nettie B; 9th June 2016 at 23:56.

Forum Member
    Hello Nettie,
    I've been wondering how you are doing. Glad to see you've settled in your new home.
    I also had us both on a low fat diet for at least 2 years before Kevin was diagnosed and I asked our neurologist if it was our diet and they told me no. Your like me, I've racked my brains everyday wondering what caused this and there could be 1000ís of external factors, I won't rest until I know. I sponsor, support, donate and do all I can to help people with MND. I hope there is a big breakthrough soon. I think they are closer than ever and I hope for everyone here it's soon.
    I miss you all on the forum, lots of new people on here now. I've been working hard trying to find my way. I really miss Graham and Terry's banter, probably the best pair of loveable rogues I've never met.

Take care
    Sylvia. X

SusanMcGee
    Eat plenty of plant foods (such as whole-grain products, fruits, and vegetables) and a moderate amount of lean and low-fat, animal-based food (meat and dairy products) to help control your fat, cholesterol, carbs, and calories. When you're shopping, choose lean meats, fish, and poultry.

@Susan McGee

You've posted 9 random food/diet related items. What, if any, is your interest in MND???
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Money money money. x

Forum Member
    Ah, I just saw this post too from Susan McGee. If I ate as she is advocating above I would lose weight not maintain it. That post was pretty much entirely inappropriate for someone with MND, assuming that someone can eat.

I am off to have a pork pie!

Are we all off to melton Mowbray tomorrow, market day on Tuesdays.

Love to join you in Melton Mowbray Lorret where I used to stop for a pie for lunch when I was working. I'm having none of this low fat stuff. Just scoffed a plate of pasta with cheese and ham sauce, followed by lamb shank in Chianti wine. You know what they say, "when in Rome". Actually I'm 100 miles from Rome but who's counting.

Hope you're all OK

Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

I used to always stop in the park at Melton Mowbray when I went north. We would eat and have a cup of tea in the cafe or just sit in the bowling shed and eat.

Pork pies sound good to me but have not tried one for five years or more.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    I am a bit far away to go to Melton Mowbray but it would make me SO happy. Pork Pies all over the place hopefully!

Barry, I am seriiously jealous. Your meal sounded gorgeous. I had Nasi Goreng though and that was pretty good too.

Nettie, really don't worry about a low fat diet causing MND. I don't think there is any evidence to suggest that.