Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home care verses nursing home care that has been our question...

Forum Member
    It has to be the right answer for you Bibby. No one at all should make you feel there is anything wrong with not being able to cope. How on earth can you in the circumstances. I am just so sorry it is a position you have all found yourselves in. Do let us know how Monday goes.

Forum Member
    I'm so sorry you are feeling torn and completely understand as your dad's situation sounds very similar to mum's.

I do wish there wasn't the negativity surrounding nursing homes as there really are some fantastic ones out there . It still upsets me when people say they'd never put a loved one in a home - it's like they want you to feel as if you've failed somehow when nothing could be further from the truth. I know mum would have suffered at home with just a few visits each day from carers and whatever support her family could provide. At the nursing home mum had regular family visitors and round-the-clock nursing care, physiotherapy and OT, beauty treatments etc. Another bonus is rather than have to wait for the doctor or district nurse when she was in pain, she was immediately administered analgesics as required including morphine.

For what it's worth I think you've done absolutely everything you could in exceptionally difficult circumstances for both parents.

Forum Member
    Thank you candle, thats just how it is. Dad has loads of visitors when he got his diagnosis people asked what can they do I said dont forget dad keep on visiting and to their credit old work colleagues, neighbours friends and family have always visited and have no intention of stopping. The nursing home has nursing staff to administer meds and all the facilties better than we could ever have at home, and mum will get her rest too.

Thanks for the positive responses this is the hardest thing I have ever done.