Thread: Quinine and fast heartbeat

Quinine and fast heartbeat

Good morning to all. This is my first post as I was diagnosed with mnd 2weeks ago.
    I have been getting bad cramps in my legs and was put on quinine sulphate. Since then getting really fast heartbeat and terrible sweats. Just stopped taking it as cramps are easier to manage. Any advice would be great
    Thanks in advance

Have been taking quinine for years and yes it does help cramp., In my case it does cause sweating but has never affected my heart. Should consult GP or only take quinine as and when cramp begins to show again

Hi Steve & sorry you have had to join us,

Quinine Sulphate is contraindicated for some heart problems and medications, so discuss your side effects with your GP.

Ellie.

im on quinine more less 4years and havent any bad side effects . Sweating are moderate when swapped drinking just water in fiver of high electrolyte drink like Zero or SiS tablets dissolved in water.
    Max

@@@@@@@@@

MND is stowaway on My life journey.
    Take free ride but I'M DRIVER HERE!!!!

@@@@@@@@@

Hi Steve,
    Welcome to the forum and sorry you find yourself here especially if those are your children which makes you fairly young.
    There is another thread about tingling started recently with advice to help with cramps. Ellie recommends you make sure you have potassium and magnesium in your diet. Terry suggests you keep your legs elevated in bed. Also mentions baclofen, which is a muscle relaxant which can help. Voltarol can help manage the muscle pain in your legs and other places. Electric blanket also suggested but. Not today possibly. Salt is also said to help cramp in warm climates so could be beneficial here.

John

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum;

So sorry to hear of your very recent diagnoses. Could it be just the hot weather that's causing your sweating?

I would have a word with Your GP and see if you can come straight off of them and then try again in two weeks to see if the same thing happens. Might be worth reintroducing them slowly and it quite often takes a few weeks for your body to settle down with a new drug.

Best wishes, Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Thanks John for adding that info. I didn't have the energy yesterday to type much!! Ellie.

Hi everyone, sorry it's late but thanks to all who took the time to reply.
    I have spoken with my doctor and have now been placed on baclofen which is starting to help with the cramps.
    That's my wife and grandchildren john thanks for noticing but I'm still only 49 so hard to take at the moment.
    Again thanks everyone
    Regards to all

Glad you have found something to help Steve;

There is another drug that works similar to baclofen as well.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.