Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebay

Ebay

Hi;

I bought a second hand electric wheelchair for 200. It was described as good and fully working. I arranged a firm to deliver it to me at a cost of 85 including a 5 discount. It was over 200 miles away.

When it arrived it was a mess, the main lifting motor was broken, parts missing, wires hanging loose underneath, the charger is rusty and has bear wires and it is dirty with deep stains.

I believed that I was covered for miss described items by Ebay and that I would get my money back minus the 85 for transport.

However, this does not seem to be the case as Ebay says that as I, "Picked it up", I should have looked at it and sorted it out then.

I have tried to explain the situation with email to Ebay but they do not answer them fully and just reply, "as you Picked it up", you should have seen it then"

I'm a bit stuck as they have a phone number but I can't talk and getting any legal advice is very hard as I'm wheelchair bound and can't talk.

Any advice?

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    I Terry .Have you no one that can contact eBay on your behalf? I f you paid via PayPal or credit card you may be able to get them to help if you can't get a result from the seller.How eBay can say you picked it up when you paid to have it delivered.is utter tosh.I do hope you can sort it out x

Forum Member
    Hello Terry,

Do you have an association visitor?

If you do perhaps they could call on your behalf?

I do hope you get it sorted..... let us know how you get on Paula x

Terry,

You should have rights against the sellers as you were missold the wheelchair as a result of their misrepresentation. You can challenge them in the small claims court if they refuse to refund your money plus the cost of carriage. You can also give them a bad review on e bay. If they are regular sellers they will be anxious about their status with future customers so it may be worthwhile threatening to give them a bad review if they do not repay you fully.
    It is comtemptible that someone should take advantage of a disabled person who clearly was unable to come and view the wheelchair and arranged delivery of the wheelchair in good faith on the strength of their description of the item they were selling.
    Hope you are able to get your money back.

John

Terry. What not a free wheelchair from your local council.? I had one when first diagnosed In May 2014 but could still walk a bit with zimmer. It was a carer control one. But we bought a scooter shortly after to give me bit of freedom. I am now not walking anymore and two weeks ago the Council got me a Salsa M2 wheelchair. I had to pay a bit to have the rising seat so could get up easily. The chair is fine and go out for long rides.
    Terry you will like this story. We like going to National Trust places and met up last Friday at Coughton Court near Alcester with relatives. It was ok getting around the ground floor and they have iPad for you to do the upstairs. We went to the Churches but I could not get in so the family went in and I went onto the graveyard and the ground was hard most of it. I was looking for historical family grave as have family history in that area. I got on some soft ground and was stuck. Luckily the family and others helped me get off. So I will not be doing something like that again.

Hi Terry ... Here is a link that might help you
    EBay are difficult to get hold of at times ..
    make sure you take photos of the broken parts .. try and contact the seller .. check the sellers returns policy .. ( does he accept returns or not) with Ebay there is a lot of small print as items for sale are not from businesses but householders
    Try and get hold of someone from Ebay to say that the Wheelchair is unfit for purpose
    It can be difficult unless the seller will accept that the Wheelchair is / was not as advertised .
    For years i sold crafts I made on eBay but was registered as a business ..never had any problems .. Had 100% feedback ..

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/safetycentre/rights.html

Dvd
    Last edited by Dvd; 1st August 2016 at 22:45.

Forum Member
    Terry, your post breaks my heart. How someone could consider treating anyone like this, let alone a more vulnerable person, is beyond me.

I wonder if emails to Trading Standards, Citizens Advice, local and national newspapers, Watchdog, MNDA, etc would help get these people named and shamed, eBay to actually respond appropriately, AND for you to receive a full refund plus compensation.

Forum Member
    Terry how did you pay ? open a dispute against the seller, was it a business seller? they are obliged to issue you a refund, go to the resolution centre, and open a claim, also report an issue with the seller, item not as described, just because you could not go and see the item should not in any way affect your rights as a buyer to get a refund.

I sell on ebay, just clothing, and i have to refund if the buyer is not happy, and pay the return postage, Ebay usually always falls down on the side of the buyer, so unless you paid outside ebay rules ( cash on collection ) you ARE entitled to a refund

If you would like me to help you, then please message me with details, and i will do what i can to help, it is outrageous you were clearly mis sold the wheelchair, and it is Ebay's duty to get your money back. also open a dispute with paypal as well if you paid thru them.

Thank you for your replies,

I don't want to say to much as I won't sleep.

I did threaten him with bad feedback and the small claims court.

As well as the seller, who is down as a person seller, I feel very let down by eBay. I sent photos with my dispute and then more with my appeal. On appeal they didn't answer my questions or explain.

My wife could phone them up but I know that it would upset her for days.

I did pay for the chair and transport by PayPal and they like Ebay look to have a dispute system. Nothing seems clear and I keep going around in circles.

I have put this on the Mnda thread to see if they have any one legal there.

I'm not worried about the money really, I just don't want him to get away with doing that.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Hi Terry

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with eBay and the wheelchair. I've called and spoken to eBay to confirm with them their dispute procedures and I've explained the situation to them.

Because the wheelchair was collected by someone, regardless of it being yourself or a courier, eBay are unable to raise a dispute with the seller and claim the money back.

What they have said is that if the payment was made through Paypal then Paypal should be able to dispute this and claim the money back for you from the seller. If you log in to your Paypal account then you can raise a dispute with Paypal and they should resolve this for you.

Both eBay and Paypal have money back guarantees but eBay seem confident that this doesn't fit under theirs but it does fit under Paypal's.

I do hope that this is helpful. Please do let us know if there is anything more that we can do.

Best Wishes

Rachel