X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kernowcluck
    • Apr 2024

Voice activation for Apple iPad

I am now finding it really difficult to type on my iPad and have also been struggling with voice activation element on it. It makes many mistakes and comes up with some very bizarre and often rude words . I seem to spend a long time deleting and correcting which defeats the object of it. I've got someone from SALT coming out next week and I wonder whether anyone can recommend a good system that is compatible with Apple. There seems to be a lot around but I am now so confused. I know a lot of you use these devices and I wonder whether you can help – thank you
  • Dvd

Hi Kernocluck .. am afraid I do not use an Apple iPad .so not going to be any help ... I am more into android devices and apps I use are .."Speak It" and "Speech Assistant" .. for writing on the tablet screen I use " Markers" app ......don't know if theses would work on Apple devices ... All mentioned apps are free to download from Play Store ..
    Do hope you get sorted soon ..
    Dvd

Comment

• Terry
      Forum Member
      • May 2012

Like Dvd, I don't use I Pad;

Manly because of the cost, however "Speak It" does seem a lovely app for talking. However you must have a voice if you want voice activation.

I knew a Mnd man that run a Windows 7 laptop using his good voice. It did make mistakes but he was quite successful.

Failing voice controlled systems, there are other methods of controlling I Pads without hands. You can have a head pointer but the one I have seen used uses Blue tooth and seems unreliable. You can also use switches. Both switches and the head pointer are very slow.

If you have a laptop or access to one it might be worth trying the voice control systems on that or maybe an android tablet.

Love Terry
      TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• miranda
        Forum Member
        • Jan 2011

I use Speak It on my iPad. It's cheap, simple to use and the voice I use is ok. Not sure if that's what you mean by 'voice activation'

Comment

• Kernowcluck

Thanks for your replies folks. I can still speak but my hands and fingers don't work so I really struggle using a keyboard. I spoke to my SALT Who said that if I'd had good finger movement but no voice they could have helped me but they have referred me to the environmental support services at Bristol who are coming to assess me anyway for gadgety tec things that may make my life easier.i'll let you know if I have any luck as there may be others in a similar position to me.

Comment

• Ellie
            Forum Member
            • Oct 2012

Would you fare better with a stylus or finger writing in the short term KC?

When my hands stopped working I used a joystick connected via USB (or wireless) to control the mouse and a switch (big button to click with a knee/foot/hand etc.) as my enter key. Most of movement needed for joystick came from my shoulder. This set-up served me well for a number of years. I now use eye gaze; superb invention!

Good luck with assessment. There is a solution ​for you.

Ellie x.
            ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
            Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Kernowcluck

Thank you Ellie, I can't hold a stylus any more as I can't move my arms all my hands. I think I am probably at the eye gaze stage. Do you have days when it's hard to stay positive? I'm normally a very positive person but I feel that I'm being sucked down the deep dark hole at the moment. Every day seems to bring more challenges and it's like my world is closing in on me. I know I'm lucky because I can still talk and eat but it's this damned locked in body that I struggle to cope with. I thought I would be able to dredge some courage up from somewhere and I am so disappointed with myself for being such a coward But I'm so scared. I started taking amitriptyline for pain today and maybe that will help with my mood. Tomorrow is another day and hopefully a better one for all of us XX

Comment

• Candle

I'm sorry you're struggling today. I don't think anyone would use the word coward to describe someone facing such difficulties and knowing things are not going to improve.

Like Ellie says, there will be a solution and MNDA can help fund items to help you communicate.

I know it's nearly two years and technology moves so fast but my mum was able to use an onscreen keyboard and a Bluetooth mouse successfully. The mouse didn't even need to be clicked. She was able to just about move the cursor a few centimetres to reach rhe letters.

I know you will get sorted with something.

Comment

• WendyWooG

Kernowcluck
                  I have just had environmental services round, they are lovely people. The system they are looking at installing runs on android not iPad and they will be providing a Samsung tablet as part f the package. If they do the same for you you would have the option of the android tablet for speech activation.
                  I was quite chuffed they are moving very quickly to remote control my lights fan and even my front door for me. They have a range of switches you can try which are not hand activated. I don't need them yet as I have one arm still working but, they will come out and upgrade the control method as things change.

You are definitely not a coward, this is horribly scary for all of us. I am struggling to manage even a few steps with my walker and have now given in and allowed a commode chair into the house, yuck! I normally have one or two low days after each loss, then manage to pull myself up and carry on again. The happy pills help
                  Wendy x

Comment

• Ellie
                    Forum Member
                    • Oct 2012

Hi KC,

You know what… Life is probably easier for me at my stage of progression. I have been totally dependent on others since 2008. So, insofar as it’s possible, I’m used to living and coping with my severe limitations. I’d a rough first year though and definitely had dark times but having young kids, including a pre-schooler, left me little time for introversion. It is a scary illness, no matter how prepared or knowledgeable about it we are.

Yes I have dark days - or rather, nights! - mainly about how I ruined family life but it is what it is...

KC, none of us here are cowards – you’re a hero. You’re doing and feeling the same as anyone else would do in such extreme circumstances.

Love Ellie.
                    Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• ccinjersey

Hi KC and All,

Hope you don't mind me saying this after reading these past few posts. To those living with this illness please don't be so hard on yourself, you really are doing the best you can under extremely difficult physical, emotional, and mental challenges that came upon you of no fault of your own.

You all get up everyday, and face the day with all the struggles it brings as well as the long nights. There are so many people in this world not living with mnd that can't manage to do that.

You may be physically compromised, but you have incredible strength that cannot be measured.

Much Love to you All

xox

Comment

• JRCat

Any suggestions on good technology once hands no longer work?

Comment

• Ellie
                          Forum Member
                          • Oct 2012

The best technology without hands is Eye Gaze. Rather than physically moving a cursor with a mouse, the user looks at the specific letter, icon etc. on the screen, dwells on it for a specified time which acts as the “enter” key.
                          The vast majority of eye trackers only work with Windows platforms, as does eye gaze software. The best, as in most responsive and thus most forgiving & least frustrating, is the Tobii EyeX. It costs about £100 and although aimed at developers, its software is easily downloaded. Best of all is the free open source software available which gives the user full PC control. The PC or tablet must have an USB3.0 port & pref an i5 processor.

I suggest your wife (if that’s her in the video, Helen or Rose, not sure) maybe tries a camera mouse – free, for Windows only – or if there is an equivalent for iPad to see what she thinks. Download Optikey to use as controls. She had very good head control in the video.

Of course your wife should be assessed by an AAC Team but I know it’s very much a postcode lottery in the U.K.

Ellie.

Comment

• Terry
                            Forum Member
                            • May 2012

From a reliable source:-

I’ve heard about voice recognition. Is it difficult to set-up?

No! Not at all. If you have a fairly new Windows or Apple computer then you have built in voice recognition. It is easy to use and as long as you practice for a while you should be able to get fairly good recognition. We’d always suggest getting a USB microphone though as normally the external microphones on a computer never tends to be of a high enough quality to be effective at recognizing your voice.
                            TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Ellie
                              Forum Member
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by WendyWooG View Post
                              I have just had environmental services round, they are lovely people. The system they are looking at installing runs on android not iPad and they will be providing a Samsung tablet as part f the package.
                              Hi Wendy,

Hope you're doing ok.

Did you hear back from that assessment yet?

Ellie x.

Comment

Working...
                              X