Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neck Brace Allowing Chin Down Swallow

Re car travel: I wear a rigid cervical collar when travelling in any vehicle. Is his headrest giving any side support? It's possible to strap the head to the headrest but I don't have first hand experience of this.

Given that he goes to a hospice, can their OT help?

Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Hi
    My husband has just been referred to Sheffield for the snood. He has tried different collars. We saw Philip at the AGM and the snood looked as though it would be just right for him. You need a referral from your consultant. They only have small and medium left. Steve is going up next week for a assessment.

Steve uses straws to drink, we have just purchased some clips off eBay that keep the straw in place. They work really well, come in a pack of 5.

Sue x

Hi;

The smaller car don't normally offer a smooth ride if you are in a heavy power wheelchair over the rear wheels. You are also up higher making the cornering forces more severe. I did know a lady that had her head strapped to the wheelchair head rest when in the car. Wheelchair services might provide you with a better head rest.

If you are having trouble locating that then ask Mnda connect to see if they can help you.

I use a "Safesip" cover that holds the straw in place, it does provide some extra grip and stops many spills. You can buy metal straws.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    I have been using the Sheffield snood for about a year and I am convinced that it is the best solution available for neck weakness whilst allowing movement for eating, drinking etc. I am not sure of the current availability of the snood, but would recommended contacting the mnd clinic at the Hallamshire or Devices for Dignity which is also based there. Philip

Hi Wendy, this might help;

Quote Originally Posted by MNDConnect View Post
    Hi,

I'm so sorry to hear that you are having difficulties finding a suitable neck support for your husband.

Generally speaking head supports only allow for very limited downward movement of the head. I wondered if your husband's OT had looked at collars with a cut away area in the neck part, as this may make swallowing easier for him? These type of collars include the Headmaster and the MND Oxford Collar.

Some people with weak neck muscles often use more than one collar, as unfortunately one collar may not meet all their needs. In addition some people choose not to wear a collar all the time. Say for example meal times. If this is the case, guidance regarding seating, positioning and modifications to diet should be considered. This would require input from a Speech and Language Therapist, dietician and an OT.

I have included a link below which features a number of head support options you may wish to discuss with your husbands OT.

https://www.mndassociation.org/wp-co...ne-disease.pdf

I do hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards
    Ruth
    MND Connect
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Thanks Terry
    Xx