Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nippy and sleep. Masks. Any tips?

Forum Member

Nippy and sleep. Masks. Any tips?

I have been reading up on the reasons for my poor sleep. I understand that its probably low oxygen that is causing this. My Oxymeter reading was 92% which I understand is marginal.

So I am looking forwards to a good night sleep from the 2nd of December when I get fitted out with a NIPPY.

So my questions.

Will it make that much difference to my sleep?
    What is the best type of mask?
    Any tips for getting used to the mask? I sleep on my side BTW.
    Will it keep my wife awake?

Thanks, Ali&Chris.

Hi Chris,

As breathing muscles (diaphragm and intercostals) weaken, the exchange of gases (CO2 & O2) deteriorate, leading to a build-up of CO2 in the blood. It is this that a BiPAP machine addresses.
    Is the O2 sats of 92% whilst sitting or laying down? Early morning, daytime or middle of night?
    It doesnít always follow that O2 sats of 95% means CO2 retention levels are low, btw.

To answer your Qs:
    It all depends on why you werenít sleeping in the first place Ė if itís breathing related, then probably, yes.
    There are several types of masks. The Respiratory Technician will give you one best suited to you; nose / mouth breather etc..
    Usually one uses the machine for a few hours during the day at first to get used to it before night use.
    No, itís quiet.

Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    Hi Chris,
    Is the O2 sats of 92% whilst sitting or laying down? Early morning, daytime or middle of night?
    It doesn’t always follow that O2 sats of 95% means CO2 retention levels are low, btw.
    Ellie.
    Thanks for answering my questions and the reply. The 92% was sleeping so lying down yes. And it was all night. Put the machine when I went to sleep and switched off when I awoke. They said the minimum was 94% and mine was 92% so I am borderline.

I may where it at work then. That will get me a few stares

Hi Chris;

I thought 92 whilst sleeping was not to bad but my advarge was 95 so it might be a little low. what is it during the day time? If you get headaches during the night and early morning (like a bad hangover) then you probably have a C O 2 build up. As Ellie says, try for short periods whist sitting, perhaps two hour, your lunch break I wish.

Love Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 24th November 2016 at 16:50.
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Often other factors such as CO2 blood gas level and FVC are also used in determining a need for breathing support.

Terry, 92% sats overnight is a wee bit on the low side.

Ellie xx.

Forum Member
    Hi guys, I had an arterial blood test while I was at the respiratory center and that was normal. Dont know what my oxygen was during the day as they only monitored it at night. Nor do I know what my CO2 was. I will ask a lot more questions next time. But its a steep learning curve. But thanks for coming back.

Forum Member
    Hi
    When I was given my nippy the other day, which im still getting used too.
    They tell me I've gone into respiritory failure? But I sleep well and I don't wake with headaches!
    So, I don't really know what I will benefit from using it?
    I'm using for half hour each day to practice, I can't imagine ever sleeping with it on, but as say, practice makes perfect
    Mags xx

I am waking with headaches - I think I'm retaining CO2. I have an appointment with the respiratory clinic on Wednesday. BC

Forum Member
    Good luck BC
    Are you going to St Thomas's? I usually to Kings for every thing, but I'm under St Thomas now as they are the experts in respiritory .
    The tests show I have too much carbon dioxide.
    Let's me know how you get on
    Mags x

Hi Mags,

I just want to say don’t be too alarmed at the “Respiratory Failure” label. Anyone needing BiPAP NIV has respiratory failure.
    The term means the gas exchange in the respiratory system is inadequate – in our case we’re not expelling enough CO2 – hence the label.

Ellie x.