Thread: Can I visit a hospice to use a disabled friendly shower?

Forum Member

Can I visit a hospice to use a disabled friendly shower?

Hello,

My father has recently been diagnosed with MNDs and is returning to the UK to be cared for. Due to the speed in which his symptoms have progressed, we have been unable to build a ground floor bathroom which is disability friendly. Are there any hospices (or similar) which we could visit a couple of times a week to use their showering facilities?

We are based in the Staffordshire area.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Hi Rebecca;

I would look up hospices or ask local people, GP etc.

It is something that they are very likely to do, you need to talk to them.

Love Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 24th November 2016 at 21:52.
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

If you ring your GP you can find out which local hospice he can be referred to, your GP can refer mine did. My hospice had a lovely disabled shower room which was available in the day centre. So it's worth asking. Facilities vary between hospices.

Wendy

Forum Member

Help for you

Quote Originally Posted by WendyWooG View Post
    If you ring your GP you can find out which local hospice he can be referred to, your GP can refer mine did. My hospice had a lovely disabled shower room which was available in the day centre. So it's worth asking. Facilities vary between hospices.

Wendy
    Rebbeca
    We have in Kent local MNDA and local hospice, who we contacted and they were so helpful in all of our questions, I am sure the same should be available to you. You will be amazed at what help and ongoing support that is there, just ask and also keep in touch with this forum because if you do you are never alone.
    Peter
    Last edited by lost soul !; 24th November 2016 at 21:48.

Forum Member
    Thanks everyone. We will get my Dad registered with the GP as soon as possible and hopefully they will refer us. We rang the local hospice but they were not much help so fingers crossed the GP will be better!

I think that anyone can refer you including yourself Rebecca;

they quite often have volunteer staff on reception that can be poor. i would ask again and ask to be put through to day care or go there. Don't be put off and sort it out before he arrives
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.