Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rocking back and forward

Forum Member

Rocking back and forward

Hi
    I'm new to the forum. Sorry if I have post this in the wrong section.
    My uncle has now had MND for 4 years from first symptoms, two years since diagnosis. It started with pains in his left arm. I'm looking for some advice.
    Its mainly been his breathing from the start and had a breathing machine that he has used since diagnosis
    Now his muscles are weakening and sadly the machine is no use to him now.
    What he is doing while sitting is bending down then up the whole time when we visit. Is this a normal action when lung muscles weaken?
    Due to him being a very private man he never tells us if he's in any discomfort but it is very upsetting seeing him like this.

Hi Trooker,
    I am sorry about your uncle. The rocking backwards and forwards is not something I have heard of. Perhaps it's a habit or stress reaction if his breathing is poor. Hopefully his palliative care team will be looking into his problems with the ventilation and medication to keep him comfortable.

Others may chime in with more advice for you.
    Wendy x

Hi trooker, sorry to hear about your uncle having mnd and the breathing machine not working as well as it once did,, my dad had problems breathing and he as told if he got a pillow on his lap and lent forward on item that his arms upwards then it was ment to open up the diaphragm and lungs to be able to breath easier.,, maybe you uncle finds his is helping for him, maybe it's not so much rocking, it's maybe his way in getting that bit air in.... Katrina x

Hi Trooker and welcome to the forum;

I don't know but if he is sitting near upright then he might be having trouble holding his body up. If this is the case then reclining his seat would help support it and the neck.

Best wishes, Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Hi, thanks for all your replies. It all makes sense . I've had the cold this last week so haven't been able to visit him.
    What's been happening is he fell a month ago and went into the local care home for some rest but he has deteriorated quite a lot since his fall.
    At first he was finding the rooms stuffy in the care home, as it is very hot in there, and he was thinking this was affecting his original machine. He'd never had bother with his machines at home which is a lot cooler. This is when we were told its probably his breathing and lung muscles weakening. He went down hill very fast and another machine was posted up to us. We stay in Shetland so there's not many places we can go for advice.
    His new machine has now arrived and from my Mum and other uncles visits they are saying he's not rocking back and forward as much and seems a lot better which is good.
    x

That's good Trooker;

We can go down hill very quickly if something is wrong, it does not always take much.

Keep us updated on him and I hope your colds gone.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    That is good news Trooker. Less rocking with the new machine sounds much better and better still that your uncle seems better. (Too many betters there - sorry)

Do you have Andy as his MND nurse or is it Dianne? They are both great but I am not sure who covers Shetland.

I hope your cold vanishes soon so you can visit him again.

I

Forum Member
    Sadly my Uncle passed away on 30th December. He deteriorated so fast after his fall on 10th November

I'm sorry to hear this Trooker;

It's especially nasty being so close to christmas. A fall or some infections can make us go down hill very quickly.

Terry

Trooker I am so sorry for the loss of your uncle.
    May he be at peace now. I hope you have happy memories of times together. Ann x