Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phlegm after peg feed

Phlegm after peg feed

Hi ..Michael after getting his peg feed of Ensure always has very bad phlegm .He sits upright on a chair when feeding and after the feed sits for about 30 mins ..
    He normally has 2 Ensure x 3 times a day, bolus fed then flushes of water .. he has tried having one Ensure every 2/3 hrs thinking two at a time were causing the phlegm but even spacing them out the phlegm is there .. he feels as if it comes up into the back of his throat causing the Phlegm
    He also tried gravity feeding with ensure which was slower but again ended up with the phlegm after the feed
    He takes Carbocisteine 15mls x 3 times daily and use a cough assist, nebulisers, and a suction machine but the phlegm is so thick the suction dosent always get it out.
    Has anyone else been like this on a bolus peg feed of Ensure
    Perhaps it's just one of those things with MND and nothing to do with the feed
    Thanks
    Dvd

Hi DVD. I have a peg feed but I use Fresubin feed. Before the feed I was on their high calorie drinks that made up 2000 calories a day. I take my feed during the day when at home, from a riser recliner chair where I am slightly reclined. The feed gives me enough calories and I don't need to top up with the drinks. One day when I didn't finish my feed I thought I would top up with a drink, big mistake the two didn't mix well and the result was dramatic diahorrea. I wonder if Michael is compressing his stomach by sitting up straight, when near the end of a feed I feel very full and I seem to expand. Just a thought. I do use my nebulizer before gong to bed this helps thin down my saliva. Don't know if my experience will help Michael. GrannieAnnie xxx

Hi DVD - I find getting fed on the bed at a 35 deg - prevents both phlegm and nausea - Calum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dvd View Post
    .. he feels as if it comes up into the back of his throat causing the Phlegm
    HiDvd,

Does Michael take a stomach liner like Lansoprazole?

Also, he may find that taking Guaifenesin before feeding reduces phlegm production. It's the active ingredient in chesty cough meds.

Ellie x.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Hi GrannieAnnie ..Michael uses a nebuliser with saline nebs but his physio is going to try him also on Sabutamol nebs to see if they help ..

Calum... will ask Michael to lie on his bed when he is getting his feed and see if that helps ..

Ellie .. Michael has lanzoprazole Fastab which he puts under his tongue ..
    Is Guaifenesin available over the counter or is it a script from GP .?
    Dvd

It's in Benilyn non-drowsy chesty cough and in other chesty cough remedies OTC. Ask the Pharmacist. x

Hi Ellie ..Was down early this morning and got a bottle of Covonia chest cough with Guifenesin so will see how that goes ..
    Again many thanks xx
    Dvd

Are you sure Covonia contains Guaifenesin and not just Levomenthol?

I asked the pharmacist and yes it has ..please check the pic Ellie for me ..

Covonia's Chesty Cough Mixture Mentholated is non drowsy and provides effective relief

.. Covonia Chesty Cough Sugar Free Syrup contains guaifenesin.

IMG_20161230_155003733~01.jpg
    Last edited by Dvd; 30th December 2016 at 16:03.

Yep, they've one without it too. Best to double check!