Thread: Can anyone recommend a really comfortable wheelchair?

Meliss

Can anyone recommend a really comfortable wheelchair?

My husband, Richard, has MND, we are homeless and not receiving much in benefits yet (although Richard will have the highest DLA); he has been lent a wheelchair by the NHS/Social Services, but finds it uncomfortable. Does anyone know of a reasonably-priced chair, or outlet for second-hand ones?

Also, he's been given a rise-and-recline chair, but it's quite hard, and not long enough for him to keep his leg raised without a cushion being added. Also, it's pink velour. I'd like to get him a soft leather one, if it exists, which would need to be very comfortable, with an extension long enough - he's only 5ft 9".

Oh, and a solid straw for drinking?

Thanks, Meliss

Forum Member
    Hi meliss,

Have you tried looking on the internet,usually a good place to start maybe take a look at "Disabled 4 disabled" they have second hand stuff I think. Ang

Hearts

Hi Meliss

Quote Originally Posted by Meliss View Post
    My husband, Richard, has MND, we are homeless and not receiving much in benefits yet (although Richard will have the highest DLA); he has been lent a wheelchair by the NHS/Social Services, but finds it uncomfortable. Does anyone know of a reasonably-priced chair, or outlet for second-hand ones?

Also, he's been given a rise-and-recline chair, but it's quite hard, and not long enough for him to keep his leg raised without a cushion being added. Also, it's pink velour. I'd like to get him a soft leather one, if it exists, which would need to be very comfortable, with an extension long enough - he's only 5ft 9".

Oh, and a solid straw for drinking?

Thanks, Meliss
    My husband was loaned a wheelchair through NHS but the occupational Therapy / Physio team kept a close eye on him and upgraded his chair when necessary, they gave him a gel cushion which he found very comfortable, they also upgraded the wheelchair which gave him neck support.
    The recliner chair was loaned to us from MND brown velour - it would be worth checking with them as they can help.
    Hope this of some use to ou Bernie.

Meliss,
    Contact youre outreach team about the wheelchair and easy chair recliner, they should be able to organise wheelchair services to come out and measure your husband so he has the correct size wheelchair and pressure cushion to go in it, also measure him for a recliner chair.
    They may also be able to help with the straw.
    Ange

RRB
    Hello Meliss

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're having getting the help you need. I'm afraid I've only just seen your post but i'll highlight it to Robyn, the forum administrator, who may be able to ask someone from MND Connect to give you a response.

Alternatively, have you made contact with your local branch of the MNDA? If you want to PM me with the area you live, I can put you in touch with your nearest branch. They can arrange for an Association Visitor to visit you who will be able to help you access the help you need. I am on the committee of my own local branch and we help fund equipment unavailable via health and social services.

It sounds like you're feeling alone in this and I want you to know there is lots of support out there that we can help you access.

Kind regards.