Thread: You cant take it with you so advice please

You cant take it with you so advice please

Am considering a holiday in Canada this year and would like to hear experiences of others who depend on a mobility scooter and have difficulty talking.

Hi Alpacas,

I traveled Canada coast to coast by train in September 2015 and whilst I didn't have my scooter at that stage there was one person who had one loaded onto the train. Most airlines will take a small scooter if it folds and the battery is disconnected. Canada is very organised when it comes to disability. My speech was understandable then but now I would use my speech app or get my wife to do the talking. She's very good at that lol.

I have been looking at holidays for this year and I notice there is a cruise that goes to Canada from the U.K. so no flying involved. I am tempted.

Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Hi Alpacas;

I found that Canadians were very understanding. UK train don't always allow you to get on the train sitting on a scooter but I don't reckon that red tape will be a problem out there.

Keep us updated, book disabled help at airports etc.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Go for it Barry! I took my motorised wheelchair on the flight to Hong Kong then on the cruise back to UK it was invaluable never regretted it. Ann x

Forum Member
    I agree with Terry I think Canadians are very understanding people, and have my deep respect.

On 9/11 the Canadians accepted almost 40 of our planes when we shut down all air travel immediately. Almost 7000 passengers landed in Canada because planes needed to be out of the skies, and the Canadians didn't leave them stranded they gave them food, and shelter

I'm heading to Niagara Falls this summer for a little vacation with cousins, and staying on the Canadian side Not to bad only an 8 hour drive straight up North.

xox

Thank you for your replies. I will let you know what I decide and how I get on.
    Alpacas