Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye to my incredibly brave, beautiful dad

Forum Member

Goodbye to my incredibly brave, beautiful dad

I'm sorry to say that my lovely dad finally lost his fight last night. He had fought this awful disease bravely for too long, and had suffered multiple falls and fractures, several bouts of sepsis and two episodes of pneumonia, the second one proving fatal.
    My brother and I were at his side as he peacefully and quietly slipped away in the care of one of the totally incredible MacMillan hospices to whom we owe a huge debt of thanks for making it so 'do-able' for all of us.
    I have said before that it would be a relief when dad's battle was over, but I don't feel that way at the moment. Selfishly, I am devastated at our loss and will miss him enormously. Is that too awful of me?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snodgrass View Post
    I'm sorry to say that my lovely dad finally lost his fight last night. He had fought this awful disease bravely for too long, and had suffered multiple falls and fractures, several bouts of sepsis and two episodes of pneumonia, the second one proving fatal.
    My brother and I were at his side as he peacefully and quietly slipped away in the care of one of the totally incredible MacMillan hospices to whom we owe a huge debt of thanks for making it so 'do-able' for all of us.
    I have said before that it would be a relief when dad's battle was over, but I don't feel that way at the moment. Selfishly, I am devastated at our loss and will miss him enormously. Is that too awful of me?
    Snodgrass:
    Not awful. Loss is the most profound experience. It is so absolutely final. It cannot be put into words.I was with my father when he died and it made a big difference in the grieving. You thankfully were with him. Your loss is proportional to the depth of love you felt for him. I humbly suggest the grieving will now start and you need to give it plenty of time. I remember that utterly empty and hollow feeling when both my parents died.
    My thoughts are with you and your family in the grief.

Charles

Oh Snodgrass;

He went through so much! So sorry to hear about your dad's passing.

It is not selfish to miss your father so much, it's normal. It is so raw.

Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

No, it's not selfish to miss him at all. First and foremost he was your beloved Dad, it's only natural to be consumed with grief, irrespective of the fact he had MND.

Take comfort that he died peacefully and you were there.

I'm sorry for your loss.
    Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    Hello Snodgrass

Very sorry for the loss of your Dad. I wish you, and your family much love, strength, and comfort during this difficult time, and the days ahead without him.

CCxx

so sorry for your loss, time is a healer, try to remember the days before MND took over your lives xxx

Forum Member
    So sorry for your loss
    And don't feel guilty of wanting him back, it just proves that you love him so.
    Mags x

Can't say anything ... Another Angel gous to Father Hous...
    :'(
    Max

@@@@@@@@@

MND is stowaway on My life journey.
    Take free ride but I'M DRIVER HERE!!!!

@@@@@@@@@

Hi Snodgrass.

Please accept my condolences for the loss of your father. He is at peace now and in time you will look back on happy memories.

Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Forum Member
    Hi Snodgrass
    Sorry to hear about your dad. Time is a healer but it will be very raw for a long time.
    Take care