Thread: Life with MND

Life with MND

I was invited to attend a fundraiser with another committee member called Jenny representing the Nottingham branch. The event was in memory of Mr. Day of Retford who died a year ago and organised by his son, Charlie Day.

This was a black tie function with 110 people in attendance and both Jenny and myself were expected to give a speech. Jenny is a founder member of MNDA branches and her first husband died 35 years ago in his mid 30's having been diagnosed aged 29. With all her experience she had no trouble speaking off the cuff and then it was my turn. I cheated and used my iPad and speech app to talk about living with MND. Most of the guests were young and had little experience of the disease but we both received rapturous applause and I'm sure they have a greater awareness now.

The event will raise a lot of money and we know it will come to the branch soon.

Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Forum Member
    Hi Barry

That's great you brought awareness, and shed a light on this illness to a younger generation, well done and good for you.

xox

Hi Barry;

Well done, I find it a lot easier to give presentations now, with a talking machine because it just happens and can be quite funny. I never know how something it going to be pronounced, especially with my spelling.

With most, (all) talking machines it is hard to answer a question half way through a recorded speech so if you can have two talking devices and use them, so much the better.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Barry:
    That is fantastic. Brilliant. Good for you.
    My speech is starting to falter now. I did Modeltalker a year ago when my speech was clear.
    I now want to start experimenting with Modeltalker getting prepared for the day I need it.
    I would like to prepare lectures on it as that is something I can still do.
    What extra bits do I need?
    Modeltalker and what other bits to record and deliver a speech?
    Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Charles

Terry,

I am now using an app called text to speech and it has a pause button so if I get a question I can halt the recording.

Charles,

I have saved commonly used phrases on predictable which is the app compatible with modeltalker. I use a powerful Bluetooth speaker which is fine in a small room but last night I had to put the microphone to the speaker. The speaker built into my iPad is only loud enough for one to one.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Nice one Barry

Kind regards

Dave..

Forum Member
    Well done Barry
    Mags x

Hi Barry, nice way to spread the word, well done. G.Annie xx