Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't open mouth wide enough

Forum Member

Can't open mouth wide enough

Hi all
    I at last got my appointment with the Botox surgeon after waiting four months. It was to see if Botox in my jaw would help me, as I keep yawning and biting down on lip and inside of cheek, and my jaw doesn't release straight away so I get a piece of my cheek inbetween my teeth and It's so sore. Anyway, the surgeon said she couldn't help me as I have no tone in my jaws and would probably make is worse. I was disappointed .

What I was wondering If anyone has any solutions to making brushing your teeth easier, as I can't open my mouth wide. Not only are my teeth hard to brush but I struggle to get the brush out of my mouth. Also when I clean my mouth out after eating with a stick with a sponge , it's impossible to clean the food out and get the sponge out, what with not being able to spit or suck, it's proving very difficult for me.

Mags xx

I'm sorry you're feeling deflated Mags.

Hopefully someone will have answers for you. I also have weak muscle tone in my jaws but, for me it's the opposite; my jaws open too easily and if anyone touches my jaw it wobbles. So opening my mouth wide and having someone brush my teeth isn't a problem for me.

Ellie x.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Mags 55. Yawning. I do that a lot and have to be careful as might bite my tongue. I can still chew my food and my jaw does just drop down and I am drooling soliva a lot. I did chew my right gum a week ago and I have the weakness on left side. At night have mouth open and very dry mouth. The other day chewing and chipped bit off a rear tooth and the rubbing against tongue. Off to dentist tomorrow.
    Keep us up to date with your result.
    Best wishes John

Hi Mags;

I don't have any answers but like many of us, I know how painful continually biting ones lip or tongue.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Hi Mags,

I hope my suggestion will help you. I use a jet flosser which has a very small diameter plastic tube you insert between your teeth. I bought mine at Argos and I think it was around £30. There is a water tank you fill and the battery is rechargeable. Caution, use it in the shower or over the sink as when our mouth doesn't close properly the water has to go somewhere.

I also use an electronic toothbrush and the head is smaller as well as the shank.

Hope you find a solution soon.

Barry xAttachment 778Attachment 779
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Forum Member
    Hi Barry
    Think I may invest in one. Do you have a problem with opening your mouth? once I get the toothbrush in my mouth, it's difficult to get out.
    I,gave up using an electric toothbrush as would clang against my teeth? But I will anything a try.
    Good luck for the dentist tomorrow John. I went to my hygeinist, I,was told my and teeth are sticky and I have to be careful, as soon as I brush them, it come back, it's like glue.
    Ellie, how strange to have opposite to each other?
    Many thanks
    Mags xx

Hi Mags. I'm the same as you. I force my electric tooth brush into my mouth and then switch on and it nearly does the trick. I have several chipped teeth and because of this they hook into my lips making them very sore. My dentist gave me prescription for Colgate special toothpaste but as I dont chew any more I think this doesn't help.
    Thanks Barry or your tip like Mags I might invest in one too. Ann x

Forum Member
    Hi Ann
    Do you mean the electric toothbrush has chipped your teeth? I have been using a manual brush, but that doesn't clean as well as the electric one. My teeth get caught on my bottom lip when my mouth is dry, and I don't have any chipped teeth....yet.
    Maybe I will use a different electric toothbrush, a bit smaller, but the handles seem too bulky?
    Maybe a child's one maybe?
    Barry, will the water go down my throat as my swallow is practically non existent.
    Thanks
    Mags xx

Quote Originally Posted by mags55 View Post
    Hi Barry
    Think I may invest in one. Do you have a problem with opening your mouth? once I get the toothbrush in my mouth, it's difficult to get out.
    I,gave up using an electric toothbrush as would clang against my teeth? But I will anything a try.
    Good luck for the dentist tomorrow John. I went to my hygeinist, I,was told my and teeth are sticky and I have to be careful, as soon as I brush them, it come back, it's like glue.
    Ellie, how strange to have opposite to each other?
    Many thanks
    Mags xx
    Hi Mags,

I can open my mouth but my problem is closing my lips tightly. I shake so my brush also clatters against my teeth but we have to persevere with oral hygiene. I hope the jet flosser helps.

Barry x
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

I find that the older type of revolving head better than the modern high speed up and down electric ones that shake your teeth and gums.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.