Thread: Can anyone recommend a power wheelchair that can be taken apart to fit in boot of car

Can anyone recommend a power wheelchair that can be taken apart to fit in boot of car

Hi all,

I would like to buy a second hand power wheelchair the type that can be taken apart to fit in the boot of our car. There are several different models on offer is anyone using one they would recommend?

I'd be using it mostly indoors with occasional outdoor use.

Andrea

Rumba there lots different chairs available. Once could not walk the local Council provided powered chair but only controlled by carer. It did break down to put in boot. After few months bought a powered scooter that broke down as well.
    Now cannot walk and six months ago Council provided Salsa M2 powered chair. This brilliant it rises so can stand and reclines as well and very manoeuvrable with circle turn.
    I now have WAV (wheelchair adapted vehicle) a Citreon Berlingo which is a very good car.
    Best wishes John

Hi Andrea;

Normally scooters are a lot easier to dismantle but they don't offer the same support. You could look for a :-

http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/bet...ric-wheelchair

and they do have similar on ebay secondhand.

It's a good idea to have an assessment by the wheelchair service if you haven't already and see what they say and maybe offer.

There are others that are scooter like.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Thanks guys I am keeping my eye on something suitable to make do until I get assessed from wheelchair services I have been told it took 18 months for some people.

Hi Andrea;

Have you been referred to the wheelchair service? If so, ask Mnda connect by email or phone, to see if they can help speed things along.

If you go to them for an assessment then they might fit you in a cancellation. I got one within three weeks.

Do you need your back and body supported or would a small scooter enable you to get around for now?

Love Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 18th February 2017 at 20:48.
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Hi Rumba,

I had/have a similar requirement as you do - a powered wheelchair that fits in a boot of any car. I found one via Amazon - Wheelchair 88. It is a fold-up powered wheelchair - takes seconds to fold - weighs about 50lbs (I need help to fit it in any car boot). Works a treat - even took it to Twickenham to watch Eng v Australia.

It took 5 days order to delivery - from Malaysia!

Worth a look I think.

Regards

Chas

Hi like Chas I have a Wheelchair 88 and fLew with it to Hong Kong as it pack down to small suitcase size with a cover and can be pulled along. I then took a cruise back to UK and took it on all the shore trips and it would fit under the tables at dinner. It has been money well spent. I go everywhere with it. it will need a cushion. I have a much larger NHS wheelchair but if ou want something to go in the boot of the car this is ideal. Ann x

Helo, Rumba. There are a lot of different wheelchairs available. If you can wait till the summer, you might find it helpful to visit either the Mobility roadshow (details in a post under suppliers news section) or a Motability event; they will have hoist suppliers, and probably some ramps as well.

hire magento programmer|magento extension installation|magento web development services
    Magento 2 Social Login|Magento 2 Gift Card
    Magento Facebook
    Last edited by annarichart; 20th July 2017 at 07:45.

Forum Member
    I have just bought a new wheelchair. I have been looking around for ages for a lightweight chair which didn`t have to be taken apart every time we got in the car. I eventually found the Karma `Dove` which weighs only 10 kgs. You just pull the seat up to fold it. The back fold down and the footrests swing away. The self-propelling wheels are smaller than usual and can be removed at the press of a button. It will fit in the smallest of cars with the wheels off. My local high street shop had it priced at 499. I got it for 250 from worldofwheelchairs.co.uk they have free delivery and I got it in 2 days. I found a discount also http://www.rx-discountcoupons.com/ph...-pharmacy-com/ . If this sounds like an advert, I have no connection with the Company I am just delighted with it!