Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know the cheapest way of getting a Power of Attorney?

Meliss

Does anyone know the cheapest way of getting a Power of Attorney?

I'm not sure whether we actually need to do one, but, if we do, can anyone help?

Forum Member
    Hi

Until Nov. 2007 the cheapest way to get a power of attorney was to purchase the package (which was easy to complete) from WH Smiths for 17. From that date, the whole procedure was made much more complicated with a new Govt. Agency created and cost considerably higher. THe new agency and solicitors are still involved in the learning process. I assume that you would want quite a simple power of attorney for one or two people jointly or severally to take responsibility for financial matters when the donor is no longer capable of doing so. If this is so, once you have decided who should act for the donor through power of attorney I suggest you see a solicitor and ask for a quote.

Forum Member
    Hi Knarbic, There is nothing in law that says you must use any legal agency to write a will or appoint power of attorney. You can write your own will but will need to appoint two people as Attorney. You will need at least three copies (maybe more depending on who you want to hold copies). Since this is a legal document you will need a minimum of two signature from friends NOT RELATION OR FAMILY MEMBERS. I would however strongly advise taking legal advise from a solicitor. The cost of this will vary but it is the best way forward. If you are thinking about a living will with instructions about body parts or withholding medical treatment then use the way I have advised and do it yourself. I helped the MND clinic in Cardiff over living wills and will try and copy one on this thread.

Best Wishes,
    CB.

Forum Member
    I hope this will be of use to those thinking of a living will.

Advanced decisions to Accept or Refuse treatments for people with Motor Neurone Disease (MND / ALS)

Please indicate the type of treatment you want by crossing out the words that are not in accordance with your wishes.

1. If I develop a life threatening infection (e.g. Pneumonia), I do / I Do not want treatment with antibiotics.

2. If, my general condition seriously deteriorates, I do / I do not wish to have life saving treatment in hospital.

3. If my general condition seriously deteriorates, I do / I do not want an ambulance to be called for, providing I can be cared for and made comfortable at home.

4. If an ambulance is called for because my general condition has seriously deteriorated, I do / I Do not want the team to take specific measures to save my life.

5. If, my breathing becomes insufficient, I do / I do not want assistance breathing with oxygen, or a breathing machine (Nippv, Bipap etc.).

6. Only answer this question if you use a ventilator / Nippv, Bipap machine. Although I use a breathing machine at night with a mask on my face; if my breathing still becomes insufficient I do/ I do not want assistance breathing through the use of a tube in my airway (intubation or tracheostomy) in an intensive care unit.

7. If my heart stops beating (cardiac arrest), I do / I do not want attempts to be made to restart it again.

8. I the event of your death, would you considered donating parts of your body for medical research into finding a cure for Motor Neurone Disease; eg. Brain, Spinal Cord or both.

Yes I would / I would not like to donate my Brain or Spinal Cord for research into a cure for Motor Neurone Disease.

9. If you have any other wishes or comments on the medical treatment, and care you are entitled to. Please make them in the space provided below.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

I certify that before filling out this “Living Will”, I took advice on the outcomes of my decisions from one of the following people. (Please delete as necessary)
    A. My Neurologist;
    B. My Doctor
    C. My Motor Neurone Disease Nurse.

Surname._______________________________Forenames__ ___________________________
    Address. _____________________________
    Tel No _____________________________
    Signature____________________________ Date. _________________________

I certify, that I advised the above named person of the outcomes of the decisions arrived at in making this Living Will.

Surname _________________________ Forenames __________________________________

Signature ___________________ Position (ie. Professor,Doctor,Nurse)_____________________
    Date _________________
    Address* ____________________________ *(Hospital, Surgery, Clinic etc).
    Post Code __________________ Tel No _________________________

First Witness

Name ___________________________Forenames______________ ______________________

Signature ____________________________ Date ___________________

Address ______________________________
    Post Code ______________ Tel No ________________________

Second Witness

Surname_____________________________Forenames_____ ___________________________

Signature _____________________________ Date _____________________

Address ________________________________
    Post Code _______________ Tel No _______________________

.................................................. ....

Best Wishes,
    CB.
    Last edited by Countyboy; 4th January 2011 at 21:11.

Senior MND Connect Advisor
    The office of the public guardian have a booklet which explains the fees involved in making a power of attorney. People on low incomes and/or on certain means tested benefits may be exempt from part or all of the costs in registering.

You can download the booklet which explains the fees and exemptions here: Public Guardian Fees Booklet

There is also lots of other information and the forms you would need available from their website http://www.publicguardian.gov.uk/

Jennifer S
    Hello James,of course it is best to get this done through the court,I went to my solicitor,it costed about 200 but well worth it,also your spouse can pay for it.No I dont think you get help from the benifits unfortunatly.Not to sure.

Forum Member
    Hi James, all you have posted is news to me. My mother wanted me to hold power of attorney over her small estate. It cost only 25 for a solicitor to witness her signing the paper containing her wishes including the signature of the solicitor and his secretary. My mother passed away during the third week of September 2009 at the grand age of 93. Every thing went before a Probate Court without difficulty and I with Power of Attorney was given the go ahead to comply with her wishes. Before her death all her finances were dealt with by me without any problems.

I am left thinking this is just another tax introduced by New Labour, without them having the decency to inform the general public.

Best Wishes,

CB.

PS. The paper signed was written by my sister and printed via a PC.

Forum Member
    Hello,
    I prepared one with my mum recently- as mentioned above, the office of the public guardian web site is the place to go. If you can get people you know to certify and witness the signatures then it will save money also.

Luce

Traceygibbo
    we used a solicitor it cost 945.00 for power of atourney for medical and financial it then took the office of public guardian 16 weeks to sort it out it has just come thorugh cost a fortune but was neccesary .. so just make sure you allow a good deal of time from the time you apply to the time you get it cause they are so back logged xx it cost 700.00 for the solicitor but would have been cheaper if we had gone through the o.o.p.g but at the time there was no information about it but its done now sometimes i think it helps to be well off and ill

xbecky07x
    I have been told for a advance directive e.g living will which is set it stone it cannot just be if i get a chest infection and i have detirated i dont want anti boticis it needs to be specific

so it needs to say what chest infection and how detriated and what treatment u atucally want to refuse

My dad was thinking of this but I recently found out that even if you can only communicate to blink as long as you are fully compent e.g your still all there mentally and know what your doing you can refuse treatment at any point you like so you can make the decison when you get to that stage insead of thinking for the future,

My dad always said that if he lost his arms he would want to die know he has no use of his arms and wants to live..

If you dont want to be resuicated you need a DNR you would need to speak to your GP about this as even if you are a power of atternity and your loved one wanted to not be rescuitated and an abulance was called if there was no DNR they MUST rescuciated even if you stated they didnt want to x

Hope this has helped

x
    take care

becky x