Thread: NHS Supplied wheelchair

Forum Member

NHS Supplied wheelchair

I am being refereed by my OT to the wheelchair service. My company wants to know what powered wheelchair I am likely to get. My guess is that they want to check if the lift will take the weight etc. Does anyone know what make NHS are issuing currently so that I can give my company an idea what they will be facing?

Cheers, Chris.

Hi
    I was given a manual chair initially and then later an invacare spectra xtr2, it is quite a heavy beast but very manoeuvrable. I think it depends on your local area you can always give wheelchair services and ask them.

Wendy

Hi Chris,

I've the same power wheelchair as Wendy. They weigh about 100-125kg, depending on type. (plus your own weight) This is a fairly typical pwc weight.

Whatever power wheelchair you get, it should take the fact you've a progressive neurological condition into account. Basic chairs are NOT suitable for us.

Ellie x.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    Ok thanks both. Noted not the standard chair Ellie. I will print the brochure for them. Gives them something to look at.

Chris.

my Invocare TDX are 175kg plus my 125kg
    Max

@@@@@@@@@

MND is stowaway on My life journey.
    Take free ride but I'M DRIVER HERE!!!!

@@@@@@@@@

My standing Genie wheelchair is less that 110 kg and many others are lighter.

You can get power wheelchair that weigh 56 kg but I would think that they would be around a 100.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Hello my local authority have provided a Salsa M2 rising and reclining chair. It is excellent gets me about no problems. Don't think I will be repairing my garden fence as Doris has blown down two panels today.��

Steve has a Salsa M2 it is brilliant. He has a footplate to manoeuvre it has he can't use his hands. Think it weighs 140kg plus his weight.

Sue

Forum Member
    I was supplied with a Quickie Salsa M2 by the wheelchair service, it has a tilt in space function but does not recline or rise which would be useful options to have I think. I checked the specification with MNDA Connect, they have a wheelchair expert, Derek who liased with the wheelchair service on my behalf and confirmed that it is a Neuro compliant chair. I use it around the house when I need to and as it is a mid wheel chair it does turn on it's own axis which makes it very manouverable. But it is big and heavy and if I am going out somewhere and I need a wheelchair I take the basic manual chair that I was originally supplied with.

John