Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fasiculations

Forum Member

fasiculations

Hi. I have had fasciculation for over 4 months. They are constant and all over the body. My physio says that they will be causing my fatigue. My neurologist prescribed Quinine 4 weeks ago but there has been no improvement. I spoke to him yesterday and he suggested that I increase the dose and wait a bit longer. He also said
    I would always have the twitches anyway. Does anyone else have similar issues? They are a constant and disturbing symptom.

Forum Member
    EmmaG:
    The twitches are your motor nerves trying to enervate your muscles. I taught myself to reframe them as a positive thing. Positive in that they are still reaching the muscles, albeit erratically. When they stop it indicates that the nerve impulses have died out. I have come to see my twitches as a sign my muscles have not atrophied entirely.
    Charles

hi Emma
    i have never had much in the way of facilations but i got a few when i laid down for the night i started getting cramp at same time . i was told by MND nurse to take magnesium . no more cramp or facilations . i have now taken magnesium for over 1 year if i miss a few days facilations come. BEWARE ITS ACTS AS A LAXATIVE

Forum Member
    Hi Emma
    I've had faculations for 3 years and they have never stopped for a minute. Now, they are like huge ripples. I've tried backofen, quinine and clonazipam, they didn't work for me. That don't mean it won't work for you Emma. I know you have to build up to a high dose on most of these drugs.

Mags x

Forum Member
    Thank you! I find them fascinating at the same time!
    Quote Originally Posted by njm View Post
    EmmaG:
    The twitches are your motor nerves trying to enervate your muscles. I taught myself to reframe them as a positive thing. Positive in that they are still reaching the muscles, albeit erratically. When they stop it indicates that the nerve impulses have died out. I have come to see my twitches as a sign my muscles have not atrophied entirely.
    Charles

Hi EmmaG,

My granddaughter gets the giggles when she sees the back of my hands rippling. You have got to see the funny side when dealing with children.

Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Forum Member
    Or adults! My twitches have always been shy when doctors have wanted to see them and one neurologist laughed at me because he thought I had invented them by looking on the internet! He has since been sacked and I am with another neurone who believes me.

QUOTE=Barry52;72412]Hi EmmaG

My granddaughter gets the giggles when she sees the back of my hands rippling. You have got to see the funny side when dealing with children.

Barry[/QUOTE]

Forum Member
    Hi Mags
    4 months has been long enough - 3 years must be horrid. xx

Hi Emma;

I'm similar to Kevin, in that I get a few in certain places from time to time.

I do hope they go away, they do sometimes.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

hi Terry
    do you have PLS.

I got dignosed bullbar onset . Its 5 1/2 years since i got symptoms and i am doing well . i asked last visit with consultant have i PLS He said no bulbar onset everyone is different.

very strange thing MND

Kevin