Thread: Introductions to areas having to move

Introductions to areas having to move

The current MNDA housing campaign misses a major issue - it is all very well to campaign for bigger grants to convert properties, but there are those of us living through MND who live in houses that are not suitable for conversion because of their shape or size - which is where I am.

At present the help I have had is limited to being told that the house in which we live is not suitable for conversion should I ever need to be in a wheelchair, which is my likely destination.

I am posting here because we are looking at moving from central London to somewhere in the south east of England and in particular would like contacts to talk to in these areas;

• Portsmouth
    • Southampton
    • Lewis

Thank you all in advance
    Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. Limb onset (arm) sporadic ALS/MND.
    MND hitting - now 50% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including left shoulder

Smile moving

Could you swap to a council property ,we nearly had one 25 years ago,Heres portsmouth.gov.uk, southampton.gov.uk,Lewes.gov.uk, they all contain advice on council and private housing.
    Last edited by Streetwise; 27th October 2019 at 18:34. Reason: extra addresses

Hi there

Thank you for the thought

I think probably not as we would have some difficulty getting onto the housing register?

Partly because we would be seen as intentionally homeless as we are moving out of central London and partly because as we already have our own place we will be seen as too rich to take local authority or housing association property.

I mention housing associations because quite a lot of local authority housing was vested in housing associations at the point where local authority tenants were asked to vote as to whether they would stay in the local authority or not about fifteen years ago.

Have tried this out locally in Lewisham, and was essentially told that if I got stuck in a private sector property e.g. in a wheelchair and could not get out or could not get the toilet, then they might consider rehousing but that might take three months or six months until a suitable property became available and we would simply have to take what was available wherever it was - mind you at that stage we would be so desperate that we would probably take anything
    Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. Limb onset (arm) sporadic ALS/MND.
    MND hitting - now 50% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including left shoulder