Thread: Getting to the toilet

Getting to the toilet

Hi, Tom has recently got less mobile and now is struggling to transfer from chair to toilet. He is just still able to stand and turn, but it's taking time and with the added urgency of toilet it's getting quite frustrating for him. The OT ordered a rotunda but I'm not happy using it as Tom's hands are very weak now, I don't want to be round the front of the rotunda if he falls backwards. So today we are having a standing hoist delivered. I was just wondering if anyone has tips on how they manage. Lorret

Hi Lorret - The combination of a hoist with a Closomat type of toilet works pretty well - I've used both portable & tracking hoists. Calum

Hoist lifting then putting on shower commode chair and moving chair over toilet ...this how my wife do for me...if urgent... Hoisting up then bedpan.
    Max

@@@@@@@@@

MND is stowaway on My life journey.
    Take free ride but I'M DRIVER HERE!!!!

@@@@@@@@@

Hi Lorret,

If Tom doesn’t feel safe using the turner, it’s not worth the risk continuing to use it, so it’s good timing getting the standing hoist.

If the bathroom doesn’t have enough room to manoeuvre the hoist to sit Tom on the loo, don’t panic! He can go onto a wheeled commode which goes over the loo.

Some tips re the hoist:
    Make sure it’s adjusted for Tom’s height at leg & arm level. The knee pads too.
    Not a lot of arm strength is needed as the strength comes from the legs.
    Make sure he is sitting straight and the hoist is straight in front of him before standing Tom. If he is crooked on the hoist, he’ll be crooked on the seat!
    If the sling is uncomfortable, ask for a different type.
    Practice makes perfect

Ellie x.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Hi Lorret;

I was wondering if you have an incontinence nurse, they might have some other ideas to help like contraptions.

If you have a flat floor and no bumps or slopes then you can move tom safety on the hoist. I am surprised that the OT has given you a turner, they normally take them away long before they should. People with Mnd quite often have a strong grip even though their hands don't work very well, so turner can be of us for a long time.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Tom may need to pull himself up to stand on the turner Terry, so that requires arm strength.
    I don't know what assistance he needs/gets.

You're right though re grip; my hand needs to be prised open if I'm gripping anything as I can't release my grip !!

xx
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Hi all , Tom has a shower chair that fits over geberit toilet . Max ,Tom is a bit squeaky to buy a proper pan , he uses an old milk bottle with a hole cut into it!
    Terry he doesn't have an incontinence nurse wether this will be something in the pipeline,as the mnd nurse has recently been to see if Tom triggers the need for carers, as he does we are inundated with calls right now. We never did use the turner,as I didn't like using it. I've never noticed a mean grip on Tom's hand unless it's got money in.

Yer, I'm the same as Tom with money, Lorret;

I use a 750 ml Comfort washing conditioner bottle to wee in in the day time, a better shape than the normal ones and the screw lid is easier and better too.

The Incontinence nurse can give you condom like things that fit to a tube to a container on his lower leg. Might be handy if going out and at odd times. I used to use them on long journeys and probably will again soon when I use the chair that does not stand up for some trips. If you want a nurse then ask. But I know what you mean about being inundated with calls and appointments, (most a waste of time).

Keep a tight grip of that money Tom.

Love Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 8th March 2017 at 22:51.
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Very funny Terry !