Thread: Mucous problems

Forum Member

Mucous problems

Hello,

My wife has bulbar onset MND and is now using a Peg but still likes and is able to take a little food and drink orally. However this produces large amounts of the sticky mucous that is probably familiar to many and which you will know is very difficult to clear. She takes mucodyne but this doesn't really seem to help.

There don't seem to be any other strategies for helping with this but I would love to hear from anyone who has found anything that alleviates this distressing problem,

Many thanks

John

Quote Originally Posted by Jon05 View Post
    Hello,

My wife has bulbar onset MND and is now using a Peg but still likes and is able to take a little food and drink orally. However this produces large amounts of the sticky mucous that is probably familiar to many and which you will know is very difficult to clear. She takes mucodyne but this doesn't really seem to help.

There don't seem to be any other strategies for helping with this but I would love to hear from anyone who has found anything that alleviates this distressing problem,

Many thanks

John
    Hi .John,
    Sorry to hear about the wife , erdotin is another drug worth trying, if she can try sipping Coke via a straw,butter breaks up the really sticky stuff, as does sucking chocolate big buttons,a nebuliser using saline will help but you need to get that via respiritry if she has one ,I have mild asthma and the blue inhaler is another option.
    Hope these help her ,it's very much try everything until you get one or more that work for you.?

Regards
    Pete.
    All I need is a miracle

Forum Member
    Hi Jon
    I too suffer with thick gluey secretions, all day long. During the night. My mouth so, like course sandpaper.
    I'm taking carbocistine, it's supposed thin it out, but it doesn't. It's such a problem.
    Before as bad as this, I used to dip those pink sponges on sticks in pineapple and freeze them. Better still if your wife can tolerate fluid in her mouth, fresh pineapple cut into wedges, freeze and suck on them.
    I can no longer do this, as I can't move my lips to suck. TrY that.

Mags x

Forum Member
    Thanks for that Pete and sorry Ive taken so long in replying\

Best wishes

John

Forum Member
    Thanks Mags and sorry you are having the same problems. We'll try those ideas.

Best wishes

John

Forum Member
    Jon 05 I have problems with the thick mucous. I have ALS MND since May 2014. I also have wet mouth and drooling all day. In the night have very dry mouth. I take 15ml of Mucodyne about 11.00 every morning. I also take a couple Atropine eye drops under my tongue twice a day and that is working for me. Guess what having a peg fitted on 6th June. I hope I won't miss my favourite Saturday meal a Brummie Curry��.
    Best wishes John