Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toes curling under in shoes! Help?

Toes curling under in shoes! Help?

Hi everyone.
    I hope you are all well and happy 😊
    I don't know if anyone has any ideas or this issue but, it's getting bloody painful and adding to the issue of being able to stand (or not)
    I will explain: I have drop foot with both my feet, the left being the worse. I have very little to no movement in my toes and feet. I can just about flex them both but not extend at all.
    When I put shoes on (my favourite being a pair of zip up uggs that I bought in a size Larger than I need) everything is fine until getting the heel of my foot down.
    A, my foot doesn't like to bend.
    B, as my foot moves forward my smaller toes just roll under and stay there. 😣
    I've tried shoes horns. Socks and no socks. Getting someone to try and manipulate through the foot wear. Nothing works. By the end of the day it's like that have a razor blade under the tips of the offending toes!!
    While I'm in my wheelchair, not too bad. But transferring from the wheelchair to anywhere. Oh my goodness the pain!
    Any ideas??? 😳
    Thank you for your time ☺️

Forum Member
    I have exactly the same problem as you so I sympathise. I will be interested to hear any replies as it really is most uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kernowcluck View Post
    I have exactly the same problem as you so I sympathise. I will be interested to hear any replies as it really is most uncomfortable.
    Oh it is painful isn't! 😣
    But kinda glad it's not just me. Not that I'd wish any form of discomfort on anyone heh heh!

Hi,

Now don't curse me... I'm sorry to say this, but Ugg boots are probably not the type of footwear to wear
    They offer no support at ankles or across the foot. You need well fitting lace-up shoes or, better still, boots.

I wear these gel toe crest cushions under my toes. They are cheap and widely available.

Gel Toe Crest.jpg

Ask your physio or OT about orthotics for your footdrop.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Limb onset (arm) sporadic ALS/MND.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    Hi,

Now don't curse me... I'm sorry to say this, but Ugg boots are probably not the type of footwear to wear
    They offer no support at ankles or across the foot. You need well fitting lace-up shoes or, better still, boots.

I wear these gel toe crest cushions under my toes. They are cheap and widely available.

Gel Toe Crest.jpg

Ask your physio or OT about orthotics for your footdrop.

Love Ellie.
    Ha ha hi Ellie 😊
    Don't worry I won't curse you 😉
    I see what you're saying about them and I totally agree but, I find them the most comfy , aside from the whole toe thing! 😄
    I do also have doc martins but I do find that my left foot in particular just won't go in flat in any other foot wear other than the uggs 🤔
    Thanks for letting me know about the gel thingies though I will check them out!
    As for orthotics.... I was referred to them back in December. And have only just got an appointment for the end of this month! I do hope they can help!

Hi P-P;

I have had the problem from time to time. I have found that things change and now I don't have much of a problem with it.

I have seen a couple of Mnd people with specially made orthotics made sheepskin lined splint type things, I don't think they are any good for walking but seam to be good in a wheelchair.

If you walk and your big toe turns under be careful of ingrowing toe nails.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keeps us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Hi Terry ☺️
    Thank you for your reply.
    Yea walking isn't something I tend to do anymore. I do feel that if I'd got my appointment for the orthotics sooner I may still be walking ��
    At the moment, standing is bloody dangerous as my feet/ankles like to spontaneously and abruptly turn outwards!! I HAVE to have shoes/trainers on at all times now or I just can't keep my feet flat and stable to get out of the wheelchair for any reason!
    It suuuuucks!
    I just need something to stabilise my bloody feet/ankles! Even if it is just for comfort while sitting and so I don't snap an ankle or fall while trying to get on the loo or my chair ��
    As for the toes thing? Sussed it!
    I got myself some of those 'cool air memory foam' trainers! They were on sale at the sports direct site.
    Easy to get on (I got them a size bigger ��) they're comfy my toes tend not to curl under and they are so fricking light!!
    Plus, they're totally funky coloured too ��

PP what make where your trainers? I'm having the same problem with the toes. I've managed to get some really warm fleece lined boots which have zips either side. They are from hotter. Not a shop I would ever go in as my mum buys her shoes from there!! Just want some thing else which is easy to get foot in. Also looking for a smart pair if shoes which are fashionable and easy to put on(for the Xmas silly season) why do shoe stockists seem to think everyone who has foot problems are the elderly! The designs are hideous!!

Forum Member
    Hi Pink,
    I'm struggling to get shoes/ boots on my right foot - my leg is very weak and can't push my feet into the shoes or boots. Your Hotter boots sound ideal. Do you know the style name? I've just been looking online
    Did you have to buy a bigger size?
    Thanks,
    Bern x

Hi. I've had 4 years of nightmare with shoes. I hate the fact that you can't buy trendy shoes or boots when you have mobility problems.
    I get most of my footwear fro Hotter, but on a lot of hotter boots the heel is narrower than the sole which doesn't work for me. I have just bought the pixie boots with one side zip which take some getting on but are comfy and look OK with skinny jeans even though you can see the lines of my splints underneath.
    Trainers are good from sketchers.
    Reiver also do really light footwear.
    Fit flop are also very light but seem quite narrow if you wear orthotics as I do.

I would go for a wider shoe rather than go up a shoe size as that makes my feet flop even more. I think it helps if shoes/boots are really snug fitting as I find it helps when walking with my walker. Hope some of this helps.