Thread: Newly diagnosed husband

Forum Member

Newly diagnosed husband

Hello everyone, Husband was diagnosed 10th Feb. Symptoms first started mid Sept 2016 with voice a little strange and everything has escalated fast from there. Now cannot talk / falling a lot / cannot stand alone/ walking almost doesn't exist/ swallowing issues / sleeping problems . This is going at a horrendous pace for our family and is of course completely devastating Still not been given daily carers either . Any advice greatly appreciated - thanks

Forum Member
    I am so sorry you find yourself on this forum. My husband was also diagnosed recently but has not progressed as quickly as we were original told. Have you been in touch with the palatine care team, they would be able to assess for care needs, provide physio and OT.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaRics View Post
    I am so sorry you find yourself on this forum. My husband was also diagnosed recently but has not progressed as quickly as we were original told. Have you been in touch with the palatine care team, they would be able to assess for care needs, provide physio and OT.
    We have been put in touch with Physio (as yet not done anything) and OT have provided some equipment but as for care Social services (UK) haven't done anything yet and I'm finding it so hard . We wern't given a progression time except "everybody is different" - obviously hubby has been extremely unlucky

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    We have been put in touch with Physio (as yet not done anything) and OT have provided some equipment but as for care Social services (UK) haven't done anything yet and I'm finding it so hard . We wern't given a progression time except "everybody is different" - obviously hubby has been extremely unlucky
    So so sorry you are also going through this as well MamRics

Hi Bear and welcome to the forum;

Sorry to hear of your husbands seemingly fast progression and the recent diagnoses.

Get a good team that are helpful around you is essential, try and get in contact with a neuro nurse, an Mnda visitor, and your local hospice as they do normally improve your life and suggest things etc.

Phone Mnda connect for any help, advice or just to talk something over.

I guess he is falling over even holding a walker. How does he communicate?

Best wishes, Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keeps us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Hello and welcome Bear.

I'm sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosis. Please feel free to ask any questions about MND and you can be sure of an answer plus lots of moral support.

Barry
    Life is a journey, not a destination.