Thread: Loss of appetite

Forum Member

Loss of appetite

I have been doing so well. I have put on a stone since last year and I am a little porker now

But.... Lately I have been struggling to eat. I just dont feel like eating. Even when my stomach is rumbling I have no desire to eat. I force myself to eat and thats not too bad at tea time but during the day? Its really hard. I can drink ok though and I have a PEG fitted. I take 5 Fortisips a day as well as my normal intake. I try to get to 3000 cals a day. What I dont want to do is start loosing weight.

I did read about cannabis. I dont want to start a public discussion about this as dont want to fall foul of the rules. So if any of you folk want to PM me with some advice I would appreciate it.

Other thing would be going over to PEG feed. Not sure I want to do that yet as I can still swallow ok. Not brilliant but water is not a problem. And PEG feeding at work would be awkward.

Any advice please?

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Having 5 Fortisips (1500 kcals) in addition to your normal food does sound like you're being fattened up for the Christmas table
    Have you got guidance from a Dietitian? I think that is important.

If you can still eat safely, continue doing so. It's best for the body & soul. But def no harm in putting extra water down the tube - keep hydrated.

Could your lack of appetite be due to constipation??

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Limb onset (arm) sporadic ALS/MND.

Forum Member
    Hi ALI Chris
    sorry dont have any sound advise can only feel the same as you ive lost a stone in weight lost my appetite since head cold i find i have to eat little and often i dont have peg yet can swallow ok just i cant take the full stomach feeling makes me feel sick i was given loads of protein drinks from addingbrooks but i'm lactose intolerant and nearly all have cows milk in dont think they listened when i said.Oh happy days!!!
    lv Ginx

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    Hi Chris,

Having 5 Fortisips (1500 kcals) in addition to your normal food does sound like you're being fattened up for the Christmas table
    Have you got guidance from a Dietitian? I think that is important.

If you can still eat safely, continue doing so. It's best for the body & soul. But def no harm in putting extra water down the tube - keep hydrated.

Could your lack of appetite be due to constipation??

Love Ellie.
    Thanks for the reply
    Yes could be fattened up for the table Wonder where they will put the stuffing

Yes had guidance from Diaticians and I have been doing this for some time. They were surprised but OK with it. The plan was to put on weight and it certainly done that. I can still eat safely its just that I dont feel like it. I am not constipated at all. I have good bowel movements. Just like I always have. I could easily go with out food all day. I used to be such a lardy eating huge meals. Now I struggle.

Drinking water not a problem. I drink around 2 lTRS a day.

Chris.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gini View Post
    Hi ALI Chris
    sorry dont have any sound advise can only feel the same as you ive lost a stone in weight lost my appetite since head cold i find i have to eat little and often i dont have peg yet can swallow ok just i cant take the full stomach feeling makes me feel sick i was given loads of protein drinks from addingbrooks but i'm lactose intolerant and nearly all have cows milk in dont think they listened when i said.Oh happy days!!!
    lv Ginx
    Hi Gini. Poor you Lactose Intolerant. I know a little about this so may be of help to you. But you may know this already but in case you have not. Take Lactase. Its like an antidote to lactose.

How about the body building drinks you see in the supermarket? Did some quick googling and found this: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=143235903 . May help you.

Chris.

Hi there Gini,

There are several lactose-free nutritional supplements - Fortijuice being one.

If you get a feeding tube, soya based tube feeds are widely available.

Are you planning on getting a feeding tube to address your weight loss?

Ellie x.

Are you ok otherwise Chris - energy, breathing? Lethargy can be an insidious passenger. Whatever the reason, I hope your appetite returns.

My aim, and that of my Dietitian, has always been to maintain my weight, which thankfully I've done.

Ellie x.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    Are you ok otherwise Chris - energy, breathing? Lethargy can be an insidious passenger. Whatever the reason, I hope your appetite returns.

My aim, and that of my Dietitian, has always been to maintain my weight, which thankfully I've done.

Ellie x.
    I am OK and doing well. Energy levels are OK but its a struggle. Everything is like bench pressing 50 kilos. Even brushing my teeth lol. But I knew it would be like this. But what I find myself doing is not eating. Its effort to eat and maybe thats what I am doing. Taking the easy route. But I am determined that I will beat this and get back on track. I need to focus and get some clarity back.

Onwards and upwards.

Thanks for your comments. Chris.

Hi Chris;

Like Ellie, I think that 3,000 cals a day is quite a lot and a few of us, (me included) have no need to put on any more weight. I do have one frotisip a day if out to make sure I get regular feed but I do normally find them appetite suppressing as they are very filling. I would probably have less of then especially near meal times.

If you don't use so much energy then you don't need so much food, just try to eat regularly.

If you can drink OK then don't use your peg other than flushing some water through it once a day, I have had a feeding tube for three years and have only used it three times for food/fortisip.

Love Terry
    The forum is still the best sorce for friendship and information. TB

Hi Gini;

Most of us lose weight but most of us need to be able to have sufficient food. It is quite normal for Mnd peoples tastes to change and our appetite but we have to try to get enough balanced food intake.

There are drinks that don't have lactose in available and maybe your doctor/pharmacist will just change that for you.

Years ago my dietitian brought me many samples of the different types including fruit based ones.

it does sound like time for a PEG for you if that is what you are going to do.

Love Terry
    The forum is still the best sorce for friendship and information. TB