Thread: skiing? (don't give it up too soon)

Forum Member

Cool skiing? (don't give it up too soon)

Yes skiing -probably not a common topic on this forum but someone might benefit from this: I had my diagnosis confirmed last August and currently have a dodgy left leg and right arm, along with some speech/swallowing issues but generally not too bad yet. I've always been pretty active and managed to ski a bit in Finland last Dec whilst up there to see Santa with my grand daughter (v. wide gentle pistes). I was in Soll, Austria last week and my weak left leg made skiing impossible, so after several tumbles I had to call it a day. It took me about an hour (with help from friends) to get off the slopes which was very disheartening, and being pig-headed I refused the help of the ski patrols. However, after some googling I found a ski bike training centre at nearby Ellmau. All I can say is BRILLIANT! and QUICK! It took about 30 mins to get the hang of it and I now have an international licence enabling me to do this anywhere (including artificial slopes in the UK). It needs much less leg strength and only moderate arm strength. I now own a lightweight folding ski bike and will be doing this as long as I can. There's loads on YouTube but if you're interested check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJBeI4Vj7MY and get googling ...you may not have to say goodbye to the slopes just quite yet. DSUK do some great stuff too http://www.disabilitysnowsport.org.uk/ .

I hope this is usegul for someone. Bye for now, I'm off to book a trip to Tignes where it's still snowing

Hi Angus,

Welcome to you, sorry you've had to join us.

That's great to hear. Go & enjoy!

I was a keen skier before my diagnosis & miss it so much I couldn't take advantage of the adapted ski contraptions, even in the early days.

Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Hi Angus and welcome.

I started skiing immediately after diagnosis but we know it better as "spending kids inheritance". But on a serious note I'm pleased you have found a way to continue your passion as I believe we should not give up too easily. I wish I could have found a way to carry on playing golf and whilst I could have used a buggy I would fall over after my backswing.

Keep searching for snow and soft landings.

Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!