Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hydrotherapy

Hi Pink,

It's unlikely the Physio would have lessened the high muscle tone after just one gentle session. She was right to take it easy on Day 1, she has to get to know your muscles and your tolerance as to how deep she can go.

Did she find a "trigger point", the nub of the spasticity? You'd know if she did!

Hydro is just one part of the treatment for bad spasticity; medications, heat & ROM exercises are others.

Would you massage your calf in the hot tub? A hot tub sounds nice, doesn't it - as long as it's lurgy-free! Can you get in and out of it safely? I know you don't have a feeding tube, but for those who have, hot tubs should be avoided.

Ellie x
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

She didn't find a trigger point. How would she find that? I'm thinking of hot tub as we went on holiday with friends last Sept in a lodge with Hot tub. Omg! Found a position where the jets really felt good on my calves. My husband found a position where the jets were good on his back as he really suffers with back pain. The warmth of the water was really comfortable as well.Ellie what treatments would you recommend? X

Hi Pink,

When the Physiotherapist is working on your calf muscles, she'll stretch them out and try to reduce their "stickiness" (my very non-technical term) In working the muscles, she should find a spot which is very tender, as in worse than anywhere else! If this spot is worked on (it will be sore) the tone in the whole muscle will reduce. It leaves my calves feeling lighter and freer.

It'll take a few sessions for any Physio to get to know a client, their muscles and what they can tolerate. A good Physio is a great asset, use her for info too! I was lucky to have weekly hydro sessions; given that I got 4-5 days good relief per session, it was very beneficial. At the same time I took antispasmodic meds.

A few years ago when my calf spasticity was at its worst, causing my feet to turn in, I had Botox injections in my calves to reduce the muscle tone locally. That worked well.

So, I use the full arsenal of weapons against my spasticity I control it just enough to maintain the ability to do a standing transfer using a turntable.

Pink, I love the idea of you and hubby in a hot tub making x-rated noises and utterances - only it's for your calves and his back

Ellie x.

Ha ha. Yes we were making those noises. Our friends went with thought it hilarious ��. Unfortunately I have only been given enough funding for two more sessions. But will make the most of them. There is a school nearby which has hydrotherapy pool available for the public to use so will enquire there. Then I can perhaps carry on myself with the exercises she gives me.

Hi all. Had another hydrotherapy session yesterday which felt great and she concentrated on my core to help with my balance. Today however I feel terrible. Woke up with a headache and had to go back to bed this afternoon and slept for 3 hours! Thankfully it was my day off work. Anyone else felt like this after hydrotherapy. My legs felt a lot lighter after the session so that was one positive. Not sure whether I should go again. What do you think?

Hi Pink,

No, I've never experienced anything like that.

The headache may have nothing to do with the hydro, just coincidental. But I have a concern: Did the Physio work a lot on your diaphragm and intercostal (rib) muscles?

If she did, she may have worked them too much and tired them out, making your breathing a bit more labourious. This leads to headaches on waking due to a build-up of CO2 in your bloodstream. You may not have been aware of any issues whilst sleeping, as is often the case.

Ellie x.

She worked on lower tummy muscles. Bit disappointed really as I did say to her the reason for coming was to relieve the stiffness in my calves. Doesn't seem to want to work on them!

Maybe ask for legs next time Pink;

It's worth going another time if you've been financed for it.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

I will. Have got enough funding going for one more. Session.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    Hi Pink,

When the Physiotherapist is working on your calf muscles, she'll stretch them out and try to reduce their "stickiness" (my very non-technical term) In working the muscles, she should find a spot which is very tender, as in worse than anywhere else! If this spot is worked on (it will be sore) the tone in the whole muscle will reduce. It leaves my calves feeling lighter and freer.

It'll take a few sessions for any Physio to get to know a client, their muscles and what they can tolerate. A good Physio is a great asset, use her for info too! I was lucky to have weekly hydro sessions; given that I got 4-5 days good relief per session, it was very beneficial. At the same time I took antispasmodic meds.

A few years ago when my calf spasticity was at its worst, causing my feet to turn in, I had Botox injections in my calves to reduce the muscle tone locally. That worked well.

So, I use the full arsenal of weapons against my spasticity I control it just enough to maintain the ability to do a standing transfer using a turntable.

Pink, I love the idea of you and hubby in a hot tub making x-rated noises and utterances - only it's for your calves and his back

Ellie x.
    Hi Ellie, I believe that you and i should be trading tips. Each time i read one of your post i see myself. what antispasmodic may i ask is working for you? i was advised to look into baclofen but i feel the 2 hours a week in the pool is helping, but it could be better if could find a milder antispasmodic with little side effects. I was recommended botox for the groins but i chickened out, but my physio did an excellent job, pulling my thighs out and away, it was excruciatingly painful but it helped enormously, funny that you should mention this but after 6 treatments the painful spasticity didn't return.
    best wishes Marie