Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hydrotherapy

I've now had 2 sessions of hydrotherapy in a new pool at Nottingham University. I loved every minute am going to go every week for as long as I can. So much better than the visits from the very expensive neurophysio I was seeing.
    Just being in the water makes me feel great and the fact that I can walk even do a slow jog makes it worth every penny.
    The pool has a floor that rises so no need for the hoist.
    If any of you live in the area, it's a great facility and lovely people.

I'm a great fan of hydrotherapy too Helen (I've bored people on the topic over the years )

One can achieve much more in the deliciously warm water than with regular physio. It's low impact and doesn't overwork the muscles - remember to drink plenty of water afterwards as it can be dehydrating.

I'm in the hospice currently for a couple of weeks, so lots of hydrotherapy = 1 happy Ellie

Shame you have to pay for it, but if it's a choice between hydro and land-based physio, I'd choose hydro every time!

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Hi Ellie

Short of a miracle cure it's the best treatment I can have.
    I do hope all is well with you in the hospice and you're getting lots of excellent care.
    Big hug and xxxx
    Helen

Yes I am thanks - lovely staff, some I've known for years, and a change of scene. Hubby took the kids away for a well deserved break last week.
    xx
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Quote Originally Posted by marieline View Post
    Hi Ellie, I believe that you and i should be trading tips. Each time i read one of your post i see myself. what antispasmodic may i ask is working for you? i was advised to look into baclofen but i feel the 2 hours a week in the pool is helping, but it could be better if could find a milder antispasmodic with little side effects. I was recommended botox for the groins but i chickened out, but my physio did an excellent job, pulling my thighs out and away, it was excruciatingly painful but it helped enormously, funny that you should mention this but after 6 treatments the painful spasticity didn't return.
    best wishes Marie
    Hi all..not sure if I'm on the right thread for this but just to let those in the North West know that the Sandcastle Water Park in Blackpool accommodates people with disabilities to sessions in the water outside of public swim times. They have wet rooms, hoist, water wheelchairs, lift, ramps etc...their accessibility helpline number is 01253 340721. Admission is 3.50.

Boiler68