Thread: Numb feet

Forum Member

Numb feet

Hi all
    mother has had her peg fitted and good news as she has gained some weight.
    Her speech is now barely understandable. 🤐
    I saw her 3 weeks ago and she mentioned she thought her legs and feet were feeling weaker. My daughter saw her yesterday and could not understand a word and also said mums feet, soles are now numb

I would like to know if any one can shed some light on this, experiences ect as this seems to be progressing quite fast

Many thanks x

Hi Vg,

Numbness is not normally associated with ALS/MND. In particular the soles of the feet are often hypersensitive. What happens if someone rubs the sole of her feet with a key or pen; would she feel that? Are your mum's feet swollen?

If they are numb, get it checked by the GP to be sure it's not something else.

There are communication aids available, from low tech to high tech. Your mum's SLT is the one to contact for those. In the interim, some sheets can be made up with the alphabet and some common help phrases e.g. toilet, tired, thirsty, hungry etc. or there are some online, ready to print off.

Good to hear she has put on weight.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Limb onset (arm) sporadic ALS/MND.

Forum Member
    Thank you ellie, I will ask the question ref the feet and key and suggest if it persist that she should mention it to her doctors

Hi Voicegirl;

I have had some lose of feeling in small areas including my feet. I guess certain nerves die and then reconnect.

I don't really know but it is in very small patches.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keeps us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

If a nerve dies, it dies. It won't reconnect.

Forum Member
    I have numbness in my feet. But then again I can still walk. Maybe that changes when you can no longer walk.

Lots about this condition I do not understand..

Hi Chris,

MND doesn’t affect the nerves involved in sensation, so wouldn’t explain your numb feet. Have you no feeling whatsoever? Reflexes?

Is it a patch of numbness or your whole foot? If your gait has changed, maybe you’re subconsciously putting weight on different parts of your foot than before? Watch for pressure spots and keep your joints moving.

If you’ve a loss of feeling, get it checked out.

Ellie x.