Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newly diagnosed

Forum Member
    Bern, welcome to this forum. Guess what three years to day that I was formally diagnosed with MND. Then was walking with stick then a Zimmer frame and my local council in The Black Country been excellent they gave wheelchair and a year ago a Salsa M2 chair rises and reclines. They put in frame in bedroom as well. I now need hoist to get out of my chair and onto a commode chair for the bathroom. I have got to have feeding PEG fitted June. You will find everything you need to know on this site.
    Best wishes John.

Forum Member
    Thanks John. Everyone on here is so kind. It's good to hear you talking at ease about how MND has affected you.
    It's hard not to worry about the future. We don't have downstairs toilet / bathing facilities and there's no obvious place to put them. Thank you for being positive. Bernadette

Forum Member
    Thanks John - it's good to hear people being positive. Bernadette

Bern,
    There are lots of options with bathing, even to the point of having a pop up shower that a shower commode chair can be wheeled into, these can be used in any room. there are also through floor lifts that can be put in allowing you to continue to use an upstairs bedroom and bathroom if they can be adapted.

When I had to start using a hoist I moved downstairs into our dining room, but we had a downstairs shower room that we converted into a wetroom. Our upstairs bathroom wasn't suitable for wheelchair use.

My advice would be to get any help your ot can provide early on. Use aids and equipment to conserve your energy and enjoy things as much as possible and as safely as possible.

Wendy

Forum Member
    Welcome my husband was diagnosed in November I think I went into shock but have found support from this forum. He retired on medical grounds on 31/3 and isn't as tired.

Hi I'm fairly new member myself. I've been made very welcome and found everyone very supportive. You have come to the right place x

Forum Member
    Welcome Bern

Forum Member
    Hi Bern
    What is your favorite food, I adore eggs. Also, if you are a meat eater, how do you like your meat done ?