Thread: Brands

Forum Member

Brands

First lot of riluzole prescribed to me was manufactured by Rilutek and had no problems with it. Second lot by Glentek and makes me really nauseous all the time. Asked GP to change it which he says he will. But he then tells me that Glentek costs the NHS 14.31 compared with 320 for the Rilutek!!!! How on earth can there be such a difference?? Don't want to burden the NHS with extra costs so I will persevere with the cheaper option!!!

Hi SMT, at last something I know a little about;

I have on my repeat prescription:-

Riluzole Teva 56 x 50mg (ONE TO BE TAKEN TWICE A DAY (NOT GLENTECH BRAND prefers teva or actavis), 56 tablet)

Glentek has a poor covering and is quite likely to melt before swallowing properly. These could be good if crushing them to put down a feeding tube but you can sometimes get a liquid Riluzole for that.

Ask your GP to prescribe "Teva" branded riluzole or if not "Actavis" branded ones.

Get him to do that straight away and stop taking the Glentek ones when the new ones come. Keep a few weeks supply when you reorder as there can be some delays. Try taking the Glentek ones with yogurt or something so that you swallow it quickly.

PLease post your findings what every they are.

Rilutek, developed and paid towards the trails etc, that is why their reluzole was more expensive and maybe still is.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Yeah
    I had some problems too with one particular brand the others were all ok, the glentek ones do seem to be a bit of a problem we just asked the chemist to not get those ones. As they still had a choice cost wasn't a problem. But honestly your quality of life is more important than the cost implications!

Wendy

Forum Member
    I've been firm and insisted on the brand that suits me-got them today!

Hi SMT;

What brand have you got and are they OK. If you have Rilutek, then they must cost less than 320.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Got the Rilutek again and no more sickness...mind you the pharmacist did tell me in an extra loud voice that they were the really expensive ones!!��

Lol, you need to reply in an equally loud voice that you deserve the best.

Wendy