Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Problem cleaning teeth

Forum Member
    Thanks Terry. Just seem to be having a few weeks when things go downhill.
    Things seem to be settling now.
    Bern x

That does happen Bern and routine tasks suddenly need to be adapted. Hope you catch a break in progression... x
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Limb onset (arm) sporadic ALS/MND.

Forum Member
    Hi Bern,
    My wife D has had similar problems now she has no swallow and little tongue movement. She had a bad choking episode a few weeks ago when carers tried to help her flush her mouth after cleaning teeth with standard toothpaste. Gagging is a definite issue. Not only is teeth cleaning the problem but removal of stray hairs in the mouth from hair cuts etc. D,s arms are now paralysed apart from thumb and finger movement in one arm
    I use a non alcohol based mouth wash for D and brush her teeth that way now, this gives a best result for the conditions as is. One to two ml per pass plus a "very gentle" tongue" brush seems to work. Trust in the person doing it is now D,s priority
    If you have a problem with gag reflex and think you will need guards for teeth grinding on tongue and cheeks Bern best get it done early. I almost had to get Pools firebrigade out after D gagged on her impression at dentist. It was worthwhile afterwards as D is more comfortable sleeping now
    Regards Steve

Forum Member
    Thanks Steve for lots of advice.
    Carers have so much to offer too.
    Bern x

Was talking about this problem today with my physio today as the electric toothbrush is now too heavy to hold.
    At 4 am this morning I had a light bulb moment, foam pipe lagging on my normal brush handle to make it larger so easier to grip.
    Test later tonight.
    but also put it on my cutlery ! IT WORKED WONDERS at dinner time.

Hi Bird;

Your OT or the hospice might well have some foam for knife etc handles, probably to small.

I have been buying some foam to cushion some handles on the wheelchair, it is gym type sponge grip. Tell me what diameter your brush handle is and I will see if I have that. Then I could send you a bit to try.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Hi Terry
    Funnily enough one of the physio had a piece of foam in her bag which along with other stuff from their office for me to try.
    So we cut some off to try

Great minds thinking alike, cheap solutions.

My teeth have got a lot worse since mnd they used to be fine not great lots of fillings and a crown but they were cleaned regularly and I visited a dentist at least once a year.
    Now they are all stained. Jay cleans them using a mouthwash that he dips an electric toothbrush in as I can no longer do it myself. I also have problems keeping my mouth opened for anything longer than 10 seconds which makes things difficult. We have tried using toothpaste but it creates too much froth which is difficult to spit out anyone got any suggestions on how to get rid of stains?

Hi Rumba;

You could try none foaming toothpaste. I know it's available but not sure where, maybe doctor or dentist, If you want to try I will try and find where it can be bought.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Hi Andrea,

Non foam toothpaste - aka SLS free toothpaste - is available in Holland & Barrett and on Amazon, amongst others.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Limb onset (arm) sporadic ALS/MND.