Thread: Ceasing to drive?

Ceasing to drive?

May I ask members at what stage they decided to stop driving a conventional car, or to cease driving altogether?

Thanks!

Hi Doug and welcome to the forum;

Mnd affects people in very different ways so one persons story is probably very different to your's.

Stop when it's not safe. An automatic is generally better for us, and one with light steering. Inform your insurance company.

I drove for quite a while but I live in a quieter area and I would not have been so happy in London. I got quite a bad back for a couple of months that stopped me driving and never got back to it afterwards. I had difficulty in getting into the seat.

If it's reasonably safe then keep your independence.

Best wishes, Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Hi Doug,

As Terry says, everyone progresses at a different rate so it is difficult to be definitive about when to give up driving. Your doctor or neurologist will generally advise if they see you often. I am still driving and although I have an automatic car I still have strength in my legs for brake control. As an advanced driver I adjust my speed and distance since I am aware that I am not as good as I was 5 years ago.
    There are many test centres around the country and it may be worth paying for a fit to drive certificate. I assume you have notified DVLA and they will normally issue a limited term licence.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Im going to do this even if it kills me!

Thank you for your helpful replies.

Having filled in lots of forms, I've just heard from the DVLA that they will renew my licence for 3 years.

More than enough, I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carpenter View Post
    May I ask members at what stage they decided to stop driving a conventional car, or to cease driving altogether?

Thanks!
    Hi Doug,

If your like me ,I loved driving but you tnd to know when it's time for me it was when I could no longer move my feet quick enough to do a emergency stop,painful yes extremely hard to admit it, but very glad I did before being told after an accident I had caused would have been not the way I ended doing wht I loved.

Pete
    All I need is a miracle

Thanks you again for all your advice.

Having got over the DVLA hurdle, is there likely to be any problem over my car insurance?

Doug

Hi Doug;

I don't believe that the insurance companies can load or refuse to insure us, as long as we don't cause an accident.

Just give them a ring and inform them of your diagnoses.

What did DVLA say?

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Terry - Sorry, should have been clearer. They say they are happy to issue a licence for another three years.
    Doug

Forum Member
    Doug:
    You are fortunate to get a 3 year license. If you can I recommend getting an automatic. Also you can fit a detachable steering ball. Very easy to attach or detach. It allows for more relaxed and confident steering. Especially if your arms and hands are affected.

Charles