Thread: Blue Badge scheme

Blue Badge scheme

Thank you for all the very helpful replies under the ceasing to drive thread.

As I can continue to drive for a while, may I ask members' experiences of the blue badge scheme. Is MND a qualifying condition to apply for a badge?

Hi Doug,

Blue badges tend to be granted on one's mobility/ability to walk, rather than on a particular underlying medical condition.

Check with your issuing authority. If you've problems walking, you should get the application started as it may take time.

Ellie x.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Hi Doug;

As Ellie says it is mainly about your ability to walk. So if your breathing or movement is a little poorer due to Mnd then apply. I think that your local council will deal with it. It is probably worth while getting a key for the Disabled loo's at the same time, they do cost a couple of quid.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Many thanks for the helpful advice.

It's perhaps something for a little later.

Doug

Forum Member
    Hello
    This reply may be a bit late but I applied for BB and it arrived with a couple of weeks. The form was difficult to complete as it asked questions about walking distances etc. I just put a line through and wrote MND.

I want to rive for as long as possible. My Consultant says that I can drive but that I must notify both the DVLA and my Insurance Company. The DVLA have written to me saying they will decide in six weeks. Amazingly. My IC (LV) said that they didn't require me to inform them.

Hi Ann;

Good to hear that you have got a BB

I think that it is important to tell your insurance company of things that might affect your driving but I don't think that they can put up your premiums because of it.

DVLA will probably give you a three year license, they used to ask your doctor and he would get you to a sort of low key test for people wit disabilities but this is not so common now.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.