Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pain in the butt

Forum Member

Pain in the butt

Hi, any advice for relieving butt pain with sitting so long in the wheelchair? The OT said she will contact the wheelchair people to deliver another cushion. I'm only able to sit for an hour then have to lie on my bed for a time and so on. I have a wheelchair cushion, tried adding a foam square, also trying a narrow cushion under my legs to lift the pressure off my bum. I don't have a pressure sore... yet! Thanks, Nigel.

Hi Nigel,

I think that an air cushion is probably best, I use a Roho (I think) sometimes and the normal cushion feels hard after that.

It is also best to have your weight on the whole of legs and bump, so putting something to do that, like you are trying would be good.

It's worth speaking to Mnda connect, and asking their wheelchair person if she could speed things along.

When talking about it to people, say that you are worried about sores as they are awful.

Where abouts do you live?

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keeps us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Nigel you have my sympathy, when I got my powerchair it just came with a standard sunrise flat gel cushion sitting on that was flippin painful after about 45 mins. I put up with it for a whole year. When I went in to try out a new manual chair it had a sectioned contour cushion, the difference was amazing! I decided to buy myself one as I didn't want to wait for wheelchair services to sort it can take months. It cost me 147 but was worth every penny.
    The new manual chair has arrived and was supplied with one of these as standard thank goodness. Talk to your wheelchair providers tell them it's making you sore and uncomfortable and you need a better one pronto.

Wendy

Hi Nigel;

Do you use and have a rise and recline chair? They do offer a bit of relief as they change positions but you might find that cushion to hard. My hospice lent me a "Repose" air cushion which is quite thick but very soft to sit on.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keeps us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Sorry you're suffering Nigel.

Your OT shouldn't have fobbed you off like that. She should assess your individual need for a pressure relief cushion and supply a cushion suited to your risk level.

It's unacceptable that you have to go to bed for the lack of a proper cushion - makes me very cross

I've a J2 Deep Contour cushion and it's superb. There's extra gel for the coccyx and bum; my bony bum is very comfy and I don't get pressure areas.

My enlightened OT who gave me the cushion said that although the cushion is expensive, treating a pressure sore costs more, in man hours, to treat, notwithstanding the fact the pain and misery they cause is avoidable!

Does your chair have a tilt function? Using it to redistribute your weight will help a tad, but you need a good cushion.

Kick up a fuss Nigel!

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Limb onset (arm) sporadic ALS/MND.

Forum Member
    Thank you soooo much for your helpful replies which also gives me hope there is a solution. I've contacted the OT and emphasised pressure point having moved from being able to sit without pain for an hour at the weekend and not only 10-15 mins. I am very grateful, as I've said, for the detail!!!! Will update with outcome.

Forum Member
    My new cushion has arrived, dropped off by the wheelchair dept. It is a permaflex for medium risk of pressure point. It doesn't feel much different to the other cushion. I'm thinking that perhaps I should contact the MND nurse as my wife tells me I am very high risk of a breakdown as the skin is deep red so already on the pressure point grading system. Do you think I'm right to try for a couple of days, the OT said she would phone today.

Nigel,
    I would get straight onto them and nag, if you are having deep red marks and it's not helping they need to sort you out a high risk super duper one like Ellie's
    Has your district nurse had a look? Perhaps if you got your nurse to confirm you are high risk they will take it more seriously. I have an invacare matrx. Contour which is lovely but it sounds like you need more. If mnda will help push for you get them on board. I honestly couldn't believe what a difference it made when I changed my cushion.

Good luck

Wendy xx

Hi Nigel,

Your wife is right – isn’t she always

Activity and mobility are the highest predictors of risk, as it’s these factors that expose you to pressure. The fact that your tissue tolerance for pressure is already undermined puts you in a very high-risk category. By the time the skin is marked, the tissue under the skin is often damaged too.

As Wendy suggested, get a District Nurse involved – they hate pressure sores, they're the ones who have to deal with them!! If the cushion isn’t doing its job of relieving pressure for you, yell, and yell loudly.

Ellie x.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Limb onset (arm) sporadic ALS/MND.

Forum Member
    Thanks again every one, your amazing and nothing better than others who have had the same issues! So tomorrow I will get Chris to speak to the district nurse. I really struggle with having to kick up a fuss. On the positive the OT said the funding has or is running out all ready (that's not positive obviously) so she is going to put in urgent requests for stuff in advance of it being needed, so that's something.
    Can't thank you all enough.