Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Possible diagnosis

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Coming here is the best move you could have made.
    Thanks Rick - and hope you do not think this rude but ....

No - my best move was having a go at the bod who said I had carpal tunnel syndrome and pointed out I had no pain (at that time) and the disability was not caused by the nerves in the carpal tunnel.

This got me to a senior neuro physiologist who suggested MND

And now, buggeration, have more pins and needles in the arm that has always been the problem so far so it seems I’m about to lose more function

Sorry - did not mean to say I find this system is very good useful for me and more so as i move on into the disease

Quote Originally Posted by nunhead_man View Post
    And now, buggeration, have more pins and needles in the arm that has always been the problem so far so it seems I’m about to lose more function
    And a strange feeling in my back - hope this is not more loss of function on the way :-(

Hello what part of your back ?is it where your sciatic nerve is which is at the bottom of your spine or is it further up where your kidneys are ?
    Common problems with the back are lower back pain because the muscles in the abdomen (stomach and what some people call the belly and large and small intestine )are weak ,i'm not trying to insult you by explaining what the abdomen is ,I just used to presume that people knew what I was talking about and sometimes they didn't! sciatica is also a common back problem but you would know it's sciatica because it goes into your leg ,ankle and foot.
    Also asthma which is a tightness in the middle of the back ,which doesn't just come from an allergy ,you would know if it's asthma if you can hear yourself wheezing .
    Hope this helps

Thank you for such a full reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
    Hello what part of your back? Is it where your sciatic nerve is which is at the bottom of your spine or is it further up where your kidneys are?
    Further up on the left - it is a weird kind of nagging feeling

Common problems with the back are lower back pain because the muscles in the abdomen are weak?
    Mine are quite strong through doing sit ups etc - but I do not get lower back pain.

Sciatica is also a common back problem but you would know it's sciatica because it goes into your leg ,ankle and foot.
    Indeed - not that

Also asthma which is a tightness in the middle of the back ,which doesn't just come from an allergy ,you would know if it's asthma if you can hear yourself wheezing
    Indeed and I’m not asthmatic

Hope this helps
    Certainly does - at least to exclude things

No don't thank me thank autism if you ever went to N Water's at four and we are all like that you always get the typical Aspie that's the name for somebody who was diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome but I don't know whether we should get used to it as the debate about how long people want to be called that .
    When people become a member on the forum they always apologise for doing a long post ,they never realise that some people do them pages long.
    One of the things my mother could never tell me was what affect her symptoms had on her, she lost the ability to speak in the first three months sorry never realised that 17 years after she died this would still floor me - Describing what happened .
    I have an ear abscess and it's tracked all the way down to my right hip so I get pins and needle in my right hand and right arm .
    Is the nagging pain are pulling sensation if so I had that in my hip and the surgeon thought I had hip bursitis mine started because I'd lain in a bad position for a lot of hours,so I had what I now know as radial nerve palsy- what that really it is just when you lie on your hand and It goes numb but mine lasted a bit longer because I'd lain on my arm and hand ,left side for hours instead of minutes.this probably doesn't apply to you

I’m always polite

No don’t thank me thank autism if you ever went to N Water's at four and we are all like that you always get the typical Aspie
    Aspie ! 😊

N Water?

Is the nagging pain are pulling sensation
    It if difficult to describe - it may be numbness

But it may be fasciculation – I’ll get the SO (significant other – my wife) to look this evening

But it may be fasciculation – I’ll get the SO (significant other – my wife) to look this evening
    No fasciculation in back spotted - and pins and needles in arm gone away after a combo massage / acupuncture session.

So pins and needles may be trapped nerve in neck and shoulders and not MND - any views team?

Sorry stupid iPad corrects my words I've had it four months and it still doesn't recognise my accent.
    It should've said an autism forum

Forum Member
    Thanks Rick - and hope you do not think this rude but ....

No - my best move was having a go at the bod who said I had carpal tunnel syndrome and pointed out I had no pain (at that time) and the disability was not caused by the nerves in the carpal tunnel.
    It wasn't rude at all mate, I'm not a chuckle thinking about you having a go a them.

I was possibly mis-diagnosed with Polymyalgia but we read about it and MND can mimic Polymyalgia. But I got better, then relapsed and got better more than once. It's hard to tell but you would think carpal tunnel would be a mechanical thing so obvious.
    Never a victim, always a fighter

Thanks Rick

And had my six months check today so thanxs Kings

Reported fasciculation, pins and needles etc and all concerned (Prof, his trainee registrar, my wife, me) that function loss was unchanged as is the diagnosis of Possible ALS with some muscles in my left arm weaker.

We made nothing of my line about “However as I've said elsewhere sometimes e.g. my hand feels like a bunch of bananas and other times (like now) it feels really positive - for me actually AFTER exercise or use e.g. my handwriting improves as I concentrate”

As njm said “Prof. Ellie is correct. It is probably fluctuating degrees of stiffness/spasticity. It suggests you have some Upper Motor Neurone involvement. The UMN dysfunction cases spasticity. Riluzole can ease spasticity. I could not have got through the last 4 years without Riluzole. I take it with no adverse side-effects."