Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Why do we loose our balance

Hi Barry, i am no expert, but i believe that the large sensory component of MND is overlooked. But i am sure sufferers with parkinson or even MS have the same difficulties.
    I was discussing the exact same issues with the Neuro physiotherapist and i want to make some time to have a proper chat and hopefully see if there are any exercises to improve our sensory nervous response.
    Many of us have severe peripheral neuritis and it can be extremely difficult to manage, but we seems to focus mostly on the fasciculation and spasticity.
    Perhaps that by isolating the sensory symptoms we are missing on a clear diagnostic picture.

Why is it so hard to get a grasp of one disease? beats me.

Best wishes Marie

Thanks Tel. Yeh still pushing Riluzole, thru floor lifts, 2 handrails on stairs, Ensure drinks instead of food, patient turner, no froth toothpaste on prescription, regular hands and feet massage to help with spasticity, scissor bath lift, lots of tea, fall once get a rollator, lifeline system from council 4 quid a week etc. Same ol', same ol'. Dude x

Forum Member
    Hey Dude. Good to see you here again.

Forum Member
    Unfortunately I had my first fall yesterday in the bathroom. It was definitely loss of balance. I've fractured my left wrist. The hospital staff were great but the doctor didn't seem to understand that someone my age could lose balance! He spoke to my husband because he was worried something else was going on! As if MND wasn't enough!
    Bern x

Forum Member
    So sorry to hear of your injury Bern, a fracture can be quite painful, and I wish you a fast recovery.

Maybe the doctor was not aware that mnd can cause loss of balance, and that's why he was concerned there was something else going on. It wouldn't be the first time a doctor is clueless to symptoms caused by illnesses.

Take good care
    CCxox

Oh dear Bern;

That must be painful. Hopefully it will repair soon. The trouble is that we need everything to work as well is it can without an injury.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Thanks CC and Terry.
    It is painful but could have been worse.
    Bern x

Hi Bern, sorry to hear you have injured yourself and I hope you recover soon. Most A&E medical staff will have no experience of MND. I have an A4 sheet containing a list of MND symptoms which I take whenever I visit a medical location that is not my regular clinic. It is especially useful when my speech can’t be understood.

Barry x
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Forum Member
    Thanks Barry. Taking information is a good idea.
    Bern x

Hello if you can eat more low Mercury fish : Salmon , hake, anchovies ,sardines ,haddock ,avoid too much Tinned ,albacore tuna ,Spanish , gulf ,mackerel these are high Mercury
    Also collared greens, spinach ,kale ,all these foods have a lot of calcium, calcium is being leached from your bones.
    Also have turkey and chicken as protein is also been leached from your muscles
    If you can't eat these foods, The best source of calcium is calcium orotate
    Last edited by Streetwise; 22nd October 2017 at 20:05. Reason: Memory