Thread: riser recliner chairs

Forum Member

riser recliner chairs

We have set up a seat on the settee for Tony to raise it up so he can get off the settee more easily. It comprises of a booster cushion, 2 large cushions and 3 pillows. He looks like he is sitting on a throne and it doesn't look really stable so I was wondering if anyone can give me some info on riser recliner chairs. How much, any funding available, the best ones etc.

Thanks

Hi Devon,

Try Tony's OT as a first port of call. If he's not "standard" size, he may need a bespoke chair, otherwise the standard one supplied is usually fine.

It's best to get one with a dual motor function - a rise function separate to the recline function - so he can raise his legs without needing to also recline.

If you do have to buy one, try getting a grant towards it from the MNDA. I'm sure someone has recommendations for you, I didn't buy my chair so didn't have to go through a choosing process!

Hopefully a riser-recliner will be supplied to Tony soon - can't have him sat atop a load of cushions Is he supported at his sides too? I wonder if smallish beanbags would give him more support?

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    Thanks Ellie - OT coming on Tuesday so I will ask

x

Hi DM;

As Ellie says ask Tony's OT. I think that the Mnda still loans them for as long as needed but best see if social services will provide one, they did for me but I was very lucky.

Do get a twin motor one and make sure it fits.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.