Thread: Fixing a Wheelchair in a vehicle

Fixing a Wheelchair in a vehicle

I just thought that I would write an idiots guide to how to fix a power wheelchair into a suitable vehicle.

1 Release the front chair fixings by operating a switch. *A*
    2 Quite a of wheelchairs can have them connected to the wheelchair whilst it’s outside of the vehicle but I have to go into the vehicle close and in-line with front fixings before they’re put on.
    3 Drive the wheelchair forward as much as possible before switching the switch to lock the front straps.
    4 Slowly back the wheelchair on a very low power so that the slack is taken up in the front straps and a bit of tension is put on them.
    5 Fix the back straps and tension them so it slightly pulls the chair back and all four of the straps are tight.

Seat belt.

Most common wheelchair seat belts now seem to go from one side, to the other and back to the original side. There are normally two male seat belt click connectors, one fixed to the end of the seat belt and one slides on the belt.

Sometimes, quite often the free end of the seat belt is kept plugged in on the same side of the seat belt and people just pull it over and plug it in but this then goes over the arms and not across the lap so you could possibly go under it if the car suddenly slowed. *B*
    So I’ve written this for the more safety conscious.

6 Grasp the free end of the seat belt and take it over the shoulder and under the opposite arm and plug in the connector that slides.
    7 Take the free end and pass it under the arm of the wheelchair, over the lap and under the other before plugging it in.

Quite often the height of the seat belt needs adjusting as it can cut into the neck.

There are other seat belt systems but this is by far the most common

*A* It is normally best to leave this switched in the locked position as sometimes they drain the battery quite a-lot causing problems.

*B* Some wheelchair arms are only connected to the back, so you leave one end connected and still get the seat belt across the lap and over the shoulder.
    Last edited by Terry; 18th November 2017 at 22:57.
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keeps us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Thank you for this Terry I am sure it will come in useful as our physio has said Ed should start thinking about a powered chair. Tried pm but inbox full!
    Joy X

Hi Fru;

Get a wheelchair on order as soon as possible as they take some time to come.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keeps us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Thanks Terry this is great