Thread: Rome

Forum Member

Rome

Hi

Anyone here have experience of visiting the Vatican in a wheelchair? Have read that it is better to book a tour but finding this very difficult. I have to be pushed in a manual chair for distances but can walk slowly when i need to, but steps are a bit dodgy! this is our first trip abroad since being diagnosed with mnd a year ago so am quite apprehensive anyway. will be going with three able bodied people but the only wheelchair friendly tour i can find online was around 460 !!!!

any advice appreciated

thank you

Hi Roxygirl and welcome to the forum;

I have no first hand knowledge of Rome but from what my wife told me it would be very hard in a wheelchair. There are many good points about Rome and if you have plenty of good strong help and can be pulled around it's worth a go.

Best wishes, Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keeps us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Hi Roxygirl,

Welcome to the forum. We visited Rome about 5 years ago but I didn't have my disabled head on then! From what we remember the Vatican was pretty accessible. We'd paid for tickets to avoid queuing but decided it wasn't really worth it.
    You're lucky to have three able bodied helpers - they can help with the wheelchair and you! I'm very like you in that I can walk very short distances but steps are very dodgy. We managed Verona and Lake Garda a few weeks ago.
    Make sure you arrange assisted boarding at the airports!

Good luck and enjoy!

Bern x

Hi Roxygirl,

A worthwhile website to look at is http://www.sagetraveling.com

I visited a few years ago when I was using my walker. If you have a letter from your doctor stating the disability you can get free access for a carer. From the Cistine chapel to the Vatican museum is quite a walk and the streets approaching are mostly cobbled.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Life is a journey, not a destination.

Forum Member
    hi guys

thanks for all the advice ! i think we will wing it a bit and i will update my experience when we get home.

x