Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Benefits

Hybrid View

Benefits

Hi all,

I'm feeling angry and frustrated with the result of the campaign to cease reassessment for benefits like ESA. Whilst I'm pleased with the result for future claimants, why have DWP not included those currently claiming? Do they think we will recover?

No doubt MNDA will continue with the campaign as will I, resuming with an opportunity to vent my frustration at the parliamentary reception.

In case anyone is not up to date with the announcement I post it below.

ESA exemption announced by DWP

The MND Association welcomes todayís announcement by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) that people living with progressive and incurable health conditions will be exempt from the need to be reassessed for eligibility for higher-rate Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)*, The new policy will remove the need for repeat reassessments, by establishing a set of criteria which will incorporate people living with MND.

However, we are very disappointed that the new exemption criteria will not apply automatically to existing ESA claimants. They will need to undergo yet another reassessment in order to be placed in this new exemption category at their next scheduled reassessment.

The announcement follows a year of campaigning by the MND Association and its supporters to ensure the Government delivered on its commitment, first made in October 2016, to end the practice of unnecessary and stressful reassessments for people coping with lifelong health conditions. We have worked closely with the DWP to ensure that the criteria they developed would create a full exemption for everyone living with MND and claiming ESA in the future.

Although we are disappointed with the implementation, this new policy will eventually benefit hundreds of people living with MND and we would like to thank everyone who supported this campaign. Your efforts ensured that the issue remained high on the Governmentís agenda and will make a real difference to hundreds of people living with MND who rely on this important benefit.

If you are affected by this change or want to find out more about the benefits you could be entitled to, please contact the Associationís Benefits Advice Service.

* ESA is a key benefit for people living with disability as it is the primary income-replacement benefit for people who are no longer able to work as a result of their health condition. Government figures suggest that there are over 600 people living with MND in the ESA Support Group.

29/09/2017
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Forum Member
    Crazy. Not surprised you're cross. The MND welfare lady wants me to apply for ESA but I'm not sure I can face whatever the assessment involves!
    Bern x

Hi Bern,

I would apply anyway. You can fill in the claim form online and print it to send off. The other option is to ring them but if your speech is anything like mine then probably not. Besides which when you are writing you have thinking time. They are not certain to send you for assessment as they may just pass your claim.

I spent all day filling in my claim for attendance allowance (48 pages) as I move from PIP at the end of the year. My argument is if they have granted one benefit why not automatically switch when you reach retirement age.

Good luck and best wishes,
    Barry

Forum Member
    Hi Barry,

I'm convinced they just try and make everything as tricky as possible! I'm certainly considering applying.

Thanks,

Bern x

I did Steve's ESA over the phone, he had to give permission for me to talk to them, I had to give all his info about benefits etc then they sent a booklet to fill in about what he could do or not. He didn't have to go for the interview. Steve's ESA stops in December has he gets his state pension. We are going to look at the attendance allowance. PIPs carries on if you applied before you are 65.
    Sue

Forum Member
    Thanks Sue.

It's helpful to hear the application process hopefully won't be too bad. We've never claimed benefits until the past few months but since I probably won't be here to get my old age pension, I'm determined to claim what we can!

Bern

Hi Sue,

That's strange as I was claiming PIP before I was 65 but my letter says it is ending and I may be entitled to other benefits such as AA. I will look into it further.

Best wishes to you and Steve and I hope to see you next week.

Barry x

Can you write out what all these abbreviations mean for the uneducated people like me;

PiP

AA

ESA

DWP

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Can you write out what all these abbreviations mean for the uneducated people like me;

PiP
    Personal independence payment
    AA
    Attendance allowance
    ESA
    Employment support allowance
    DWP
    Department of work and pensions
    Love Terry
    Anything for you Terry and you're far from uneducated since we know you as the fount of all knowledge.

Barry x

Font Barry not fount lol. Dude x