Thread: Ceiling hoist removal

Forum Member

Ceiling hoist removal

We had two ceiling hoists fitted less than a year ago. The one in the bathroom has only been used about 3 times. My husband died 2 weeks ago so these are surplus to requirements now. Does anyone have any experience of hoists being removed eg who would do it, how easy was it etc? The one in the bedroom was an absolute boon for us and I would love to see them providing an easier life for someone else.

Forum Member
    Hi Susan,
    I'm very sorry to hear that. It's kind of you to think of others.
    I'm not in need of a hoist just yet and don't know anything about them. Someone will know / need.
    Take care,
    Bern x

Hi Susan;

Firstly, I'm sorry to hear of your husbands recent passing.

Thank you for offering then to us but like Bern, trust that any need for them will be sometime off.

I would have thought that they would have been simply screwed into the joists above the plaster board. If you have truss rafters (loads of cross timbers in your roof), then they could well of laid a bigger plank of wood over the joists and the used long bolts to fix to that with a nut on the top.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keeps us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Hello Susan,

Please accept my condolences in regards to your late husband. My knowledge of ceiling hoists is limited to when I used to visit our dear friend Joycie. Her husband, Peter had a hoist installed on ceiling runners to allow her to move around the bungalow. It was a sturdy construction and the ceiling had to be strengthened. I remember him saying that it was installed and removed by professionals.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Life is a journey, not a destination.

Hi Susan
    So sorry to hear about your husband.
    We have a ceiling hoist. It is bolted into the roof, so you will need someone to undo those, that but you will need an electrian to disconnect the charging point.
    Sue

Forum Member
    Susan sorry to hear your loss. Guess what I am having ceiling hoist fitted in few weeks. So hope easy to use. We have sit to stand hoist to get me in out chair.
    Best wishes John

Forum Member
    Thank you for your condolences.
    My husband was very reluctant to give up the standing hoist which served us very well but the ceiling hoist made an enormous difference to us. Although there had to be 2 carers (health & safety) I could operate it on my own. Once I learnt not to be so tentative about fitting the sling it was brilliant and he enjoyed the sensation of hanging with no pressure on his bottom. I hope your transition goes smoothly.
    Best wishes, Susan

Forum Member
    Thank you to everyone for their condolences.
    Apparently we are due for a 6 month service which is included in the original cost so I also enquired about removal. The company will do this for a charge which is useful to know.